Pleasant View Elementary Flyer
Friday, October 21, 2022
Kdg 50th Day of School Sock Hop
Dear PVE Families
We really hit the ground running upon our return from Fall Break! Kdg students celebrated the number fifty with a 50th Day of School Sock Hop this week. In addition, we celebrated our Jog-a-thon fundraising efforts today with inflatables, gaga ball, and a dance party - along with many other activities building-wide. Thanks to all of the parent volunteers that partner with us regularly to provide so many rich experiences for our students.
Here are some things to highlight that are on the horizon:
- Quarter One Reports Cards - Parents can access their child's quarter one report card in PowerSchool on Monday, 10/24 before the end of the school day. Please call the front office if you need any assistance!
- Picture Re-take Day Tuesday, 11/1 - Please see the section below for more info!
- Family Conferences are on Monday, October 24th (3-5:00) & Tuesday, October 25th (11:00-7:00 PM). Remember, that we will have a regular day of school on Monday, 10/24 with some conferences being held after school. However, Tuesday, Oct 25th will be an EDay for K-4 elementary students (as well as Developmental and Transitional Preschool) so that teachers can meet with students and families for conferences!
- Pleasant View Elementary has an opening in the front office for an administrative assistant position. If you or someone you know are interested, please check out the application here and/or send us an email to learn more!
- Student Breakfast- As a reminder, we began offering student breakfast again this year last Monday. It is served between 7:45am and 8:05am. As a reminder, you do not need to sign your child up, he or she can just come to the upper café to eat on any day. However, this year there will be a charge of $1.40 (unless free/reduced status is in play).
- Lunch Visitor Reservation System- Our online reservation system for families to use to schedule a time to eat lunch with their child is now READY! Please see the section below for how to sign-up to come and eat lunch with your child.
- PTO Scholastic Fall Book Fair - Our Fall Book Fair is this coming week from 10/24 -10/28! Please check out more details below.
- Veterans Day at PVE - Our in-person Veterans Day programs are BACK! Please see our sections below for all of the information regarding Veterans Day. This flyer also has information regarding our special HVAF Veterans Day Service Project.
All the best,
Stacy and Jodi
Dr. Stacy Smith - Principal of PVE
317-873-2376, extension 17999
Mrs. Jodi Morrow - Assistant Principal of PVE
317-873-2376, extension 17994
Out-of-this-World Jogathon Celebration Day!
2022-2023 Important Dates
October 24th-28th - Fall Scholastic Book Fair
October 24th - Regular school day w/ Family/student conferences (3-5PM)
October 25th - eDay (NO SCHOOL) & Family/Student Conferences (11:10am-7:00pm)
October 27th from 5:00-6:00pm - PTO Meeting in the Media Center
October 28th - PVE Steel Eagles Robotics Spirit Day
October 29th - PVE Steel Eagles Robotics League Play at TSE (4-8)
October 31st - 4th Grade Idiom Day
November 1st - Picture Retake Day
November 1st-18th - Kdg Dyslexia Screener Window
November 2nd - PVE November Spirit Day
November 7th-11th - HVAF Service Project Collection Drive & College Go Week
November 10th - 3rd Grade World Kindness Day
November 11th - Veterans Day Programs at PVE
November 14th-18th - PTO Canned Food Drive for Local Food Bank
November 16th - PVE PTO Dining for Dollars at El Toro
November 17th - 3rd Grade 70s Day (celebrating the 70th day of school)
November 19th - PVE Steel Eagles Robotics League Play at TSE (4-8)
November 21st - Preschool Gobble Get Together
November 22nd - Kdg Friendship Feast, 1st Grade Beast Feast, 2nd Grade Thankful Day, 3rd Grade Vocabulary Day
November 23rd -25th - No School for Thanksgiving Break
December 1st - PTO Dining for Dollars at Papa Johns
December 2nd - PVE Steel Eagles Robotics League Play at TSE (5-9)
December 5th-20th - PTO 12 Days of Giving for Staff
December 5th-20th - NWEA Winter Testing Window
December 6th - 1st Grade 80s Day (celebrating the 80th day of school) and Science and Engineering Fair Info Night in Adventure Center (5-6pm)
December 7th - PVE December Spirit Day
December 8th - PTO Meeting via TEAMS (virtual) from 8-9pm
December 9th - 4th Grade Indiana's Birthday
December 19th - 4th Grade Benjamin Harrison Quilt & 1st grade Hibernation Celebration
December 20th - End of Quarter 2/Semester 1 & Winter Parties & Bus Driver Appreciation Day
December 21st -January 2nd - No School for Winter Break
ZCS 2022-2023 School Calendar (click for the district calendar)
PVE Lunch Visitor Reservation System
We are ready to welcome lunch guests! Students and their guests will have lunch at designated table in the hallway between our two cafes. Your reservation will be for a maximum of 3 people including your PVE student. If you need additional space, please make more than one reservation. Please be prepared to share a table with other visitors. You may only include your PVE student in your lunch visit, classmates are not allowed to join.
We kindly request limiting lunch visits to once per 30 days for each of your PVE students. Thank you for accommodating that guideline as we try to ensure there is ample opportunity for all of our PVE students.
Here's how it works:
- Sign up for a reservation in advance using this link: PVE Lunch Reservation Link
- When you sign up, please be certain to complete all fields requested
- Booking is only open up to 30 days in advance
- Bring a photo ID and arrive 5 minutes early
- HAVE FUN
PTO Fall Scholastic Book Fair - October 24th - 28th
Our Fall Book Fair will be held at PVE in the lower gymnasium (close to the front office) during the week of parent/teacher/student conferences (10/24-10/28). We will have two opportunities for families to come and shop with their children. Entrance will be directly into the Lower Gym at Door 13 or if you are coming before or after a conference, you can enter into the lower gym from the hallway.
THANK YOU to all of the parents who signed up to volunteer to help run our Book Fair next week! We are fully staffed and VERY THANKFUL!
Book Fair Dates/Times
- (7:45) 8:00am – 2:30 pm Students and Teachers Preview (registers will be open though) (PVE staff and students)
- 2:45pm – 5:30pm – Book Fair open for purchasing to parents/families via Door 13 or just come in the lower gym if before or after a conference.
Tuesday, 10/25 EDAY and Conference Day
10:30am – 7:00pm- Open ALL including Parents/Families by entering and exiting Door 13 or 14
- (7:45) 8:00am – 2:30 pm (PVE students & staff)
(7:45) 8:00am – 2:30 pm (PVE students & staff)
- (7:45) 8:00am – 2:30 pm (PVE students & staff)
eWallet Payment Option
- There is a digital payment option for our book fair. Click the link below if you would like to setup a cashless way for your and/or your child to shop next week.
Rather shop/buy online?
- Please visit the link below starting Monday, 10/24 for the option to shop and buy books without coming into the building.
Your child brought home a Book Fair Flyer in his or her backpack this week, and many also previewed the Book Fair today during the day!
Amy Rodriguez, PTO Book Fair Chair
PVE Student Pianist Highlight
We were so fortunate to have a PVE student play for us today during morning arrival! Thank you to Nora for playing for us today (Friday, 10/21). She did an incredible job!
As a reminder, if you would like for your child to play during morning arrival, click the link below to sign him or her up!
- We would like the pianists to arrive around 7:40am and play until the 8:00 o'clock bell. The parents of the child playing are welcome to stay the whole time and enjoy as well! Please note that siblings are more than welcome to share the playing time if you would prefer.
PVE PTO Winter Spirit Wear - Now through 10/28!
- Spirit wear is live and will be available for purchase from now until October 28th.
- All orders will be completed the week of November 14th and will either ship to your home if you select that option OR will be distributed at the school!
Pleasant View Picture Retake Day - Tuesday, November 1st
Pleasant View Elementary retake/makeup picture day is Tuesday, November 1, 2022. Please read through this retake information if your child needs a retake or a makeup photo.
RETAKES: If you need a retake of your original image, you MUST turn in your packet with all contents to the photographer even if you did not place an order. If a packet is not turned in, we will NOT be able to do a retake. No longer have your packet? Please email us here: Customer Service Contact Form
MAKEUP PICTURES: If you missed the original photo day, ordering for Pleasant View Elementary makeup/retake day is now open! To order with a debit or credit card, please follow the link below. Make sure you are ordering under the RETAKE button. You do not need to turn in any receipt or form for an online order. If you need to pay by cash or check, the office will have an order form available.
If you have any questions or concerns please fill out our Customer Service Contact Form
Veterans Day at PVE
Want Your Veteran(s) Honored During the Program? Photos due November 1st!
As we prepare for our Veterans Day programs on Friday, November 11th, we need your help to pull off one of most celebrated traditions. Each year we have a presentation of pictures that display our students and the Veterans in their family at the end of our celebration.
This year we are requesting you send your pictures to us digitally. Please follow the specific directions below to have your students and Veterans honored during one of our ceremonies on Friday, Nov. 11th.
- Send ALL pictures to this email address email@example.com .They WILL NOT be accepted any other way.
- We are asking that you send a picture of your child/children who attend PVE behind a plain background, or a flag, or a brick background etc. in a JPEG format.
- You must also send in a picture of your veteran in a JPEG format. Also please include your Veteran’s name and branch of service. We are asking that these 2 things come in the same email. If you have multiple Veterans to honor please send them in the same email.
Please understand that you must follow these steps in order to have your student and their Veterans included in the presentation of pictures, even if you have sent a picture in previous years. We do not have pictures provided to us from the past.
ALL PICTURES ARE DUE NO LATER THAN November 1st AT 4:00.
PVE Veterans Day Team
HVAF Veterans Service Project - 11/7-11/11
Veteran’s Day is right around the corner! Here at PVE we love honoring those who have served our country and we are partnering with HVAF (Helping Veterans and Families) of Indiana again this year to help homeless veterans in our area.
HVAF Information Sheet - Click this link to learn more about the impact of HVAF in 2020.
HVAF Collection Dates: Monday, November 7th - Friday, November 11th.
Please see the specific items that we are requesting from each grade level:
- Pre-K- Macaroni and cheese
- Kindergarten- Jars of peanut butter and jars of jelly
- 1st Grade- Cans of soup and boxes of crackers
- 2nd Grade- Pasta noodles and pasta based boxed meals
- 3rd Grade- Canned meat (such as tuna, chicken, Spam, Vienna sausages) and ramen noodles
- 4th Grade- Men’s socks and canned fruit
After our collection week is completed, our PVE Student Ambassadors will be packing up our donations and they will be deliver to HVAF!
PVE PTO Food Drive - November 14th-18th
The PVE PTO will be collecting nonperishable food items for our annual Food Drive to benefit the Boone County Food Pantry. The food collected will help provide holiday meals and stock the pantry throughout the year. The PVE Food Drive plays a huge role in their success and this annual tradition has been taking place for over 15 years! Last year, PVE donated over 10,000 food items. Let’s all work together and encourage our kids to rally together for this great cause. The food pantry will accept 2020 expiration dates! Please try to refrain from sending in glass items and we do not accept candy. Thank you again for your donations!
As in past years, there will be a friendly daily competition and a grand total winner announced at the end of the week. The classroom that brings in the most items daily will be recognized on the announcements by Principal Smith, receive the traveling Food Drive trophy and win a donated Colts spirit item for “tackling hunger.” The class that donates the most items for the week will receive a visit from the high school football team on Tuesday, November 22nd and additional Colts spirit items to represent their awesome accomplishment!
If you have any questions, please contact Laura Ritter (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Marianne Samuel (email@example.com)! We will post a Sign Up Genius soon to volunteer for helping to sort food items! We will also need A LOT of boxes, packing tape, sharpie markers and paper bags to collect the food. Please send these items into the front office! Thank you.
Student Breakfast at PVE - Began Monday, October 17th
As a reminder, you do not need to sign your child up, he or she can just come to the upper café to eat on any day. However, this year there will be a charge of $1.40 (unless free/reduced status is in play) per breakfast.
If your child participates in AM BAC, Kindergarten Bridge, or Early Start Spanish and would like to participate please connect with Tina Tamburini or your child's Spanish teacher with specific details.
What's for breakfast?
- Fall 2022 PVE Breakfast Menu
- Contained within each standard “Breakfast in a Bag”, will be an entrée (i.e. cereal or snack bar), juice, fruit and 1% white milk. Please click here for additional nutritional information.
As always, thank you for your support and feel free to provide any feedback or suggestions to
Lisa or Jan!
Lisa Morgan, Food Service Manager at PVE at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jan Swander, ZCS Food Service Director at email@example.com.
PVE Counselors' Corner
Second Step is a research based social-emotional learning curriculum. Each week a 30 minute lesson during their “Strong Steps” time is devoted to strengthening these skills.
This week was Lesson Nine of our Social-Emotional Learning Curriculum.
- All grades continued learning empathy lessons.
- Kindergarten students are learning to identify similar and different feelings in response to scenarios.
- First grade students discovered being inviting and welcoming can change people’s feelings.
- Second grade students are identifying ways to show compassion for others in response to scenarios.
- Third grade students practiced focusing attention on others which can help you have empathy and show compassion.
- Fourth grade students focused also on compassion by practicing expressing concern and demonstrating empathy.
There are new home link activities for second, third and fourth grade this week. Below are the home link activities if you would like to work with your student on an extension activity together!
- Kindergarten Home Links
- 1st Grade Home Links
- 2nd Grade Home Links
- 3rd Grade Home Links
- 4th Grade Home Links
If you have any questions about the Second Step program, please do not hesitate to reach out for more information. Thank you for supporting your child in learning the skills that lead to success in school and in life.
Tammy Mazelin PVE K-2 School Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Natalie Rieke PVE 2-4 School Counselor email@example.com
ZCS GROW News and Updates
- Before and After-School Care (BAC) is now full at our PVE site.
- Kindergarten Bridge and Early Start Spanish are optional, fee based programs that “bridge” the time between the 7:50-8:00 arrival time for 1st-4th grade students, and the start of the instructional day for Kindergarten students, which is 8:50-9:00.
- Access Days Care provides a childcare option for when school is not in session for parents who need care for their children during some of the school breaks during the year.
- Eagle Rec (ERE) offers fee based programs in a variety of interest areas - see link above for classes offered at PVE
PVE Food Service/Café Information
ZCS Food Service News
- Public school lunch cost returns for the 2022-2023 school year, unless students qualify for meal assistance.
- Please click here to read all of the important information regarding school lunch for this year, including costs, nutrition, menus, and how to use SchoolPay for your child's lunch money.
- Please visit the ZCS Food Services Department section on our ZCS website for easy access to SchoolPay, how to apply for meal assistance, and more!
Visitor and Volunteer Procedures
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to check in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check.. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee for the full background check which will expire after 5 years.
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.