To Kill a Mockingbird
Use this infographic to help you understand the trial. This will focus on the testimony of the following characters:
- Heck Tate
- Mr. Bob Ewell
- Mayella Ewell
- Tom Robinson
- Fetched by Mr. Ewell
- Mr. Ewell informs Tate that a rape has occurred
- Mayella on the floor - beaten
- Mayella washes her face
- Room is slung about
- He brings Tom back - Mayella says that its Tom
- Atticus: How was she beaten? Why no doctor called? Where are the bruises?
- Beaten on the right side, bruises around her neck
- According to Tate: no need for a doctor
Mr. Bob Ewell
B. Ewell's Testimony -- Similar to Tate
- Coming from the woods and he hears Mayella screaming
- Runs to the window - Tom raping Mayella, the room is a mess
- Tom flees
- Asks Mayella: Who done it?
- Atticus: Why no doctor called? Can you read and write?
- Bob Ewell is left handed.
M. Ewell's Testimony
- On the front porch - Tom walked by and asked for help chopping up the chiffarobe.
- Tom says yes
- Mayella claims she went into the house to get a nickel to pay and he attacks her.
- He grabs her from behind and chokes her, throws her on the floor and takes advantage of her
- According Mayella, she fought back
- Atticus: questions whether Tom hit her -- she can't remember
- Acknowledges knowing Mayella - claims he has helped her in the past
- Refuses the nickel
- He chopped up the chiffarobe months ago not November 21
- Tried to get him to do something inside the house and Mayella tries to kiss him
- Strange for the children not to be in the house -- saved up money for the kids to get ice cream
- He flees because he is scared of being accused of something that he didn't do -- having to go to court
- When you are an African - American, you have to be scared -- according to Tom
- Bob Ewell saw Mayella kiss Tom
Atticus' closing arguments
- Tom has a crippled left hand -- no way for him to hit and choke Mayella
- Black v. White (racism, segregation) -- Equality (court system)
- Shouldn't be in court -- Tom didn't do it
- In courthouse, only place where all men are created equal
- No medical evidence
- Only witnesses are the people who were there -- Tate did not see what happened (only speculation)
- Mayella lies to the court because she was guilty of what she has done (kissing a black man)
- Tom feels bad for Mayella
- Everyone lies not just African Americans