Lenape Smoke Signals
Week of January 4 - 8
- January 5 - Virtual Program Planning Presentation for Freshmen
- January 7, 6:30 - CB West Curriculum Fair for Freshmen
- January 11-24 - Bucks County Free Library Card Drive
- January 18 - MLK Jr. Day; No School
- January 20, 2:00-4:00 - Picture Retakes in Cafeteria
- January 21, 9:00 - Parent Council Meeting
- January 29 - End of 2nd Marking Period; Early Dismissal at 10:45
Lenape & CB West Orchestra Winter Album
The featured performance of the album is the CB West Virtual Orchestra performing Post Malone's Sunflower from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. You can view it here.
Spotlight: 7th Grade STEM Mitosis Model Virtual Lab
Lenape 7th grade science students demonstrated knowledge of the cell cycle for the Cells and Heredity Unit focusing on the stages of Mitosis (prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase). In this virtual hands-on lab, students modeled the process of mitosis to demonstrate that cells repeatedly divide for growth and repair. Students demonstrated creative thinking and innovation by using ordinary household items to model the stages of cell division. Students applied existing knowledge to generate these original models. Check out some of their work below!
Bucks County Free Library Card Drive
The Lenape Library is excited to partner with the Bucks County Free Library to help students register for a library card. Our Virtual Library Card Drive will run from January 11 – 24.
All BCFL branches are open for in-person selection or curb-side pickup. BCFL’s digital resources are available anytime, anywhere, and are completely free with your library card.
Ready to register for a library card? Here's how:
- Click on this link between January 11 - 24 to go to the online library card application for students: https://buckslib.org/school-outreach-library-card-application/
- Enter the password: $choolyear2020
- Select Lenape Middle School from the dropdown list
- Complete the application with your information. If you are under age 14, please have your adult at home complete the application with you.
- After the drive has ended, your library card will be sent to school and delivered to your ELA teacher. If you are a virtual student, pickup dates will be communicated when the drive has ended.
We hope you enjoy the many resources the Bucks County Free Library has to offer!
Program Planning for 2021-22
Program Planning season will be upon us when we return from break. Our 9th graders will be the first to participate in a live Teams Event kick-off on Tuesday, January 5, 2021. This is an important first step in the process for our freshmen! CB West will release their “Curriculum Fair” video on Thursday, January 7, 2021. Information for parents will be published on the Lenape Guidance website as it becomes available. Information for students will be on the Lenape Canvas Course. Please be patient as we publish information.
FOR ALL GRADES, you can expect some changes this year including:
- Paperless verification of courses in the parent portal – this replaces the course verification sheet you signed in previous years.
- A digital Microsoft Forms Request for students to make elective changes and notify their counselor that they’d like to be considered for a level change – this replaces your written comments on the verifications sheets
- Program Planning Information “Kick-offs” will be Live Teams Events – replacing the auditorium-style presentation to students
- Parent resources for Program Planning will be on Lenape Guidance website
- Student resources for Program Planning will be in the Lenape Canvas Couse
Communication during the program planning season is critical. The district budgets for staff and materials based on the data collected during this process. Last minute elective changes in late spring and summer will not be permitted. Level changes (ex. Academic to Honors Science) to core subjects will be considered based Microsoft Forms Requests which go directly to the student’s counselor.
Career & Community Spotlight Events
Our Next Career & Community Spotlight speaker is Chris Spinner, Co-Founder and CMO of Mad Icarus Media, Inc. Chris will represent the Marketing Career Cluster. Chris is a multi-startup entrepreneur and successful business development partner with over a decade of digital, traditional, and integrated marketing experience. Chris helps businesses realize their true growth potential by implementing their patented Authentic Marketing Ecosystem™ (AME) strategy. We’re excited for Chris to share his career journey which led him to his very successful company. Tune in to the live event at 3:00 on Wednesday January 13, 2021. For more information on Career Clusters visit this page. Students who attend the duration of the Live Teams Event will earn an entry in an end of year drawing for 3 Lenape Spirit Gift baskets.
Live Events are Wednesdays at 3:00. Please contact Jodi Schmon with feedback/questions concerning the Career & Community Spotlights. Below is a list of past and upcoming events:
- November 18: Det Ansinn, Brick Simple. STEM Career Cluster, facilitated by Jack Burleson
- December 9: Ashley Heidler, Doylestown Hospital. Wellness/Connection to Community, facilitated by Alexandra O'Donnell
- January 13: Chris Spinner, Mad Icarus Media. Marketing Career Cluster, facilitated by Kaitlin Deeter
- February 3: Matt Metzger, Penn State Abington Admissions. Digital Footprint
- February 24: Adam Assoian, Ally Psychological Services. Human Services Career Cluster
November Boomerang Award Winner: Academic Motivation
December Boomerang Award Winner: Positive Peer Influence
Sports & Extracurricular Information
Lenape Extracurricular Activities
Free Breakfast & Lunch Each Day - Reminder
Please remind your child(ren) that all students are entitled to a free breakfast and lunch each day. Breakfast is available each morning until 7:30 in the cafeteria and outside of the auditorium. Grab and go lunches are available every day in the cafeteria during dismissal. It is our hope that all students take advantage of these nutritious (and free!) meals!
Attendance - Reminder
- Hybrid Students - In Person Days: If a student should be physically present in the building and staying home, we do need this communication to come from the parents or guardians. Please email our attendance office at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is important for us to be able to account for all students for safety reasons. If a student is not in school (but even attending online) the initial absence code will be “absent” until we have a communication from parents. The attendance code will be changed to VP (Virtual Present) once we have the communication from the parent/guardian. We do ask for the communication in advance of the absence so teachers are aware. It also ensures that parents and guardians are aware that the student is at home and has permission.
- Online Students - Students all Virtual or Hybrid Students on Virtual Days: If a student does not attend class, the student will be marked absent unexcused until we receive communication from parents. If a student logs on but stops engaging in the class, their attendance code will be changed to VC (Virtual Cut).
For Your Information
Safe2Say is a valuable resource that has been set up by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to provide a method for anyone to report a concern about a student or group of students 24/7. Please note some important reminders about the use of Safe2Say:
- If you put in a tip, please check back often for communications. The tip line is monitored 24/7 at the state level. The tip is sent to the school and/or police if it is deemed "Life Safety" immediately. It is sent in the morning if it is determined to be "Non-Life Safety."
- It is important to include as much information as possible. If you have evidence of your concerns, please share that evidence via the tip or with us. You can attach pictures and videos in the Safe2Say system.
Please remember that Safe2Say is statewide system that is used in collaboration with the State Attorney's Office, emergency responders, and school officials. It is important to know that tips are reviewed on the state level before being passed to the local police and/or school authorities. Please consider the purpose of your tip - Is it to provide another person with a way to receive help? Is it preventing an act of violence? Is it something that needs to involve local and state authorities? While the system is anonymous, abuse of the system will not be tolerated and actions will be taken if it is determined that the system is being used inappropriately.
Guidance Sparks - Success in the New Economy
In today’s world we are all trying to know what is best for our children but it is difficult to see what lies ahead for them. The “Sparks” video below gives some economic insight into the past, present and future. Please share your reactions to this video with you children for their own understanding of future possibilities: Success in the new economy
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at email@example.com.
Lenape Valley Foundation Workshops
Lenape Valley Foundation is offering two free virtual workshops for caregivers of children and teens. The workshops will be led by Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists. Each session will also include a presentation from a Board Certified Child Psychiatrist and Q&A for attendees. Participants must register in advance to receive the Zoom meeting link & information. Parents, grandparents, caregivers, loved ones, professionals and more are invited to attend.
Click here for the dates and topics.
Technology Information and Resources
Health and Safety Resources
A friendly reminder: If your child is sick and is exhibiting any Covid-like symptoms, please reference the chart below to determine if it is safe for them to come to school. If you need guidance, please do not hesitate to contact the nurse's office for assistance.
Per the most recent update to the masking order, shields will no longer be an acceptable face covering option for staff or students as per updated regulations from the state and district. For more details, click here: https://www.cbsd.org/2020-21