Trail Blazer News
January 11th - 15th
Makhiah: Who is your favorite teacher?
Oliver: Mrs. Morris.
Makhiah: Who is your favorite friend?
Oliver: Addie Katherine.
Lila: What is your favorite game?
Oliver: Clash of Coins
Lila: Do you like building your board in the flex lab?
Lila: What is your favorite thing?
Fern: What is your favorite book ?
Oliver: Star Wars.
Fern: What is your favorite thing to do?
Oliver: Play in my tree house.
Fern: What is your favorite restaurant?
Oliver: Ruth Chris.
Wish List: We would greatly appreciate your support!
- Painter's Tape
- Gallon ZIplocks
1/15/16: End of 2nd Quarter
1/18/16-1/19/16: No School
What We are Learning
Reading: We are focusing using images and text to understand the characters, setting, and plot of fiction texts. We are also focusing on our RAPS strategy (Restate, Answer, Prove it, and Summarize) as we practice written comprehension.
RL.2.7 Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
C4. I can use illustrations to understand the setting, characters, and character’s emotions and motivation..
Writing: Students are publishing independent research project about something they wonder. Their final product will be an online "board" that displays the important information they discovered.
- W.2.7: Participate in shared research and writing projects (read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations).
Fundations: We will begin Unit 8 on Monday. We are focusing on r-controlled vowels. Please see your child's homework folder for more information.
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3. Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3. Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We will continue our addition and subtraction unit on Monday. Students are learning various strategies to solve addition and subtraction equations within 1,000.
- 2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one and two step word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
Science: We will be exploring the properties of matter through movement and hands-on learning.
- 2.P.2 Understand properties of solids and liquids and the changes they undergo.
Social Studies: Students are participating in a class government. Each student is part of a branch of our government. Students are creating bills that they would like to become classroom laws.
- 2.H.1 Understand how various sources provide information about the past. Civics & Government.
- 2.C&G.1 Understand the purpose of governments.
- 2.C&G.2 Understand the roles and responsibilities of citizens.