SMCHS News Update
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
HIGH SCHOOL NEWS
Thursday, September 9: 11:00am School Mass @11:00am
Friday, September 10: Zephyrs Spirit Stop Open--7:30am-8:15am
Wednesday, September 15: Back to School Night 5:30pm-6:30pm (see below)
Thursday, September 16: 11:00am Prayer Service @11:00am | 9th grade retreat (all day)
Friday, September 17: Zephyrs Spirit Stop Open--7:30am-8:15am
Friday, September 22: Picture retakes
Thursday, September 23: 11:00am School Mass @11:00am
For a complete calendar listing, view our Google calendar online.
Back to School Parent Night
Traffic Pattern/Parking Changes
- If you are dropping off students before school, turn into LANE ONE behind school. Please proceed forward until you are between the cones in the drop zone (see map). PLEASE DO NOT STOP AND GET OUT BEFORE THE DROP ZONE. This prevents cars from backing up into the entrance lane. This is an acceptable and quick way to drop off middle school students to be dropped off as well, however, middle schoolers must use the sidewalk and crosswalk to walk to the middle school.
- Please DO NOT stop in LANE TWO for drop offs. Use LANE ONE (preferred) or LANE THREE. Stopping in lane two backs up students trying to park.
- LANE ONE is also an easy way to pick up middle school students. Students should walk to the high school using the crosswalk.
- Please DO NOT enter back into LANE TWO from LANE THREE (see red X below).
Missing Student Forms
REQUIRED STUDENT FORMS--link to material that is to be read by parent and student.
SIGNATURE PAGE—link to the from to be signed by parent/student and turned into the office.
SMCHS Service Opportunity
Last year, due to COVID, in lieu of our traditional Service Morning, we asked students to look for opportunities on their own to positively impact their church community, family, neighborhood or larger community. We found this format to be very successful and will do it again this year. Students found creative and meaningful ways to help in the community and reported their experiences back to school with colorful reflections and photos. This format also allowed students to spend more time in their volunteer service while also eliminating costly busing to the various locations. Students will be given more information on the service initiative soon.
Sunday, September 19:
6:00pm--Homecoming Kickoff beginning with a prayer service
Monday, September 20-Thursday, September 23
Special Homecoming Dress-up Themes
Friday, September 24
No School (Professional Development for Staff)
5:00pm--Homecoming Parade beginning from Schildt Park
7:00pm--Homecoming football game kickoff
Saturday, September 25
Each class moderator will send an mail to parents looking for float building chaperones and volunteers for other tasks. We are also seeking donations of napkins for float building and candy for the parade. The moderator teachers for each class are below. Please email if you have questions or would like to make a donation.
Seniors: Mrs. Peterson
Juniors: Mr. Verstegen
Sophomores: Mrs. Fritsch
Freshmen: Mrs. Wautlet
2021 Fall Sports Pictures
- Go to www.scanlanstudios.com
- On the Home Page click on Online Viewing
- Then click on SMCHS Fall '21
- You will then find Zephyr HS Spring Sports 2019 and click on it
- The access code is: zfall21
- Use the team names on the left-hand side to view your team and individual sports photos
- After choosing an image you can click "Buy" and choose your package or product.
If you have any questions about the pictures or the ordering process, please contact Scanlan Studios by calling 920-729-9013 or email: email@example.com.
School Liturgy Schedule
Students will attend Mass each week on Thursdays in the FAEC at 11:00am. They are NOT required to wear Liturgy attire. Parents are welcome to join us for mass.
We have 11 international students beginning this semester from Spain, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia. Thank you to the families who are hosting these students. There will be more opportunities soon, so if you are interested in hosting a student, please contact Sue Thelen.
One Night, One Event to Ignite Giving on Saturday, October 16! There are three great ways to participate:
- Register: https://smcatholicschools.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/AllAboard2021/Registration/tabid/1243779/Default.aspx
- Sponsor: https://smcatholicschools.ejoinme.org/allaboardsponsor Every dollar bolsters academic excellence and enhances SMCS Catholic mission and values.
- Cash Raffle: Beginning Friday, September 10, tickets may be purchased at any school office. Grand prize is $2,500, 2nd prize is $1,500, 3rd prize is $1,000. Tickets are $25.
Call to Action Speaker Series featuring SMCS Superintendent Dan McKenna
The SMCS community is invited to attend the St. Gabriel Parish Call to Action Speaker Series beginning Monday, September 13 at 7:00pm at St. Gabriel Parish. SMCS Superintendent Dan McKenna will be the featured speaker on September 13 and discuss Catholic schools, Catholic education, SMCS, and his Catholic faith journey. It is a free event and all are welcome to attend. No RSVP is required.
Zephyrs Spirit Stop
SMCS is fortunate to offer a variety of SMCS apparel for our students, parents, grandparents, alumni, and friends. We are so grateful for each and every purchase, as it supports the co-curriculars in our school system. At times trying to navigate the ordering system online can be confusing. The Spirit Stop is run by a dedicated group of volunteers. Please use this link to review the FAQ's to help understand the process. Go Zephyrs!
Upcoming College Visits
UW – Whitewater - Wednesday, September 15 @ 1:08pm
Drake University - Friday, September 17 @ 7:50am
University of Nebraska-Lincoln - Tuesday, September 21 @ 1:08pm
UW – Oshkosh, Fox Cities – Tuesday, September 28 @11am
Michigan Technological University - Friday, October 8 @ 1:08pm
Ripon College - Wednesday, October 13 @ 11:00am
University of Denver - Thursday, October 14 @ 9:24am
Lakeland University- Tuesday, October 19 @ 9:24am
Central Michigan University - Tuesday, October 19 @ 1:08pm
UW – Milwaukee – Tuesday, October 26@ 11:00am
Counselors met with seniors on September 8 during 9th block. Topics included senior year requirements and options, post high school planning, college applications, scholarships and aid, and sign-up for senior conferences. Handouts will be available in Naviance.
Students taking CAPP, Blended Education, and Distance Learning classes will receive an invoice within the first two weeks of class.
October 13 PSAT - Optional Testing for Juniors
The PSAT/NMSQT is the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. This test provides practice for the SAT, the opportunity to enter National Merit Scholarship Corporation scholarship programs, and helps students prepare for other standardized assessments, like the ACT. This test is optional. An email with full details and registration form was sent to parents of juniors on September 3. Payment and forms are due Friday, September 10. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive an email.
AP exam registration for yearlong courses will take place in the fall. Test order forms will be distributed by AP teachers during classes in October. Testing fees are $96 per test. Tests for AP classes which begin in the Spring will be ordered in the Spring. Watch for details
Technical College Open Houses
- Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC) Open House on October 5 from 3-6pm. Application fees are waived.
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (NWTC) – September 28 from 3-6pm (Trades, STEM, Public Safety, Transportation, Energy) and September 29 from 3-6pm (Health Sciences, Education, Business, IT,& General Studies). Application and placement test fees will be waived on both dates.
Wisconsin Education Fair (WEF) will have in-person and virtual options this year with over 100 colleges, universities, military branches, and specialty schools represented. Check out this video on how students register and navigate through the events.
- Virtual WEF, 5:00-8:00pm on the following Wednesdays: September 15, November 10 and December 1.
- In-person event at UW-Oshkosh, 9:00-12:00pm on Thursday, September 30
National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) National Virtual College Fairs with over 600 participating colleges. Check here for specific times and time zones. Visit college websites directly for specific campus options.
- Signature Fairs - September 12, October 3, October 24, November 14
- Northeastern US College Fair – September 28
- Midwest US College Fair – October 14
- Arts & STEM Fair – November 2
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) applications open Oct 1st. For assistance completing the FAFSA please see below:
- College Goal Wisconsin is an organization which provides free help completing the FAFSA.
- Virtual events will be offered on October 6, 13, 20, 27, and November 3, 10 at 6pm.
- In-person event at Fox Valley Technical College, October 12 at 6pm.
- Click here for details and a list of what to bring.
- Fox Valley Technical College offers free online chat support from 9am-6pm here.
Scholarships can be found on the Naviance home page under Colleges/Scholarships & Money.
- Scholarship list = current active list of scholarships with due dates and link to the application
- National Scholarship Search = comprehensive, safe database. Over 3.5 million scholarships with total awards over $18 billion