Note To Members
We hope this newsletter finds you all safe and in good health! In an effort to minimize the number of communications delivered through the RILINK listserv, we plan to limit "free offer" announcements to once or twice a week. Free offers will continue to be published to RILINK Distance Learning Resources daily. Check in often for the most up-to-date information.
RILINK Staff support continues through this period of distance learning. Please use the RILINK Help Request Form to reach us all at once.
Checking and changing your settings for eBook circulation and display
- First make sure that none of your Patron Types in Library Policies for Patrons in the Destiny Back Office Admin tab have been blocked from checkouts if they have overdues or fines.
- Make sure to Save your changes.
- Then go to Destiny Discover, click on the Hamburger symbol on the upper left and scroll down to Admin in the resulting list.
- Click on Admin and then click on Policies at the top of the resulting list. Then click on Patron Types. The Patron Types listed should match the Patron Types in the Destiny Back Office Admin tab (formerly called Back Office in Destiny Classic.). All of the other settings for Patrons in Destiny Discover are the defaults, unless you have already changed them.
- Since we have a limited number of eBooks, which are all single use, we are asking that you limit the number of eBooks that any Patron Type can have checked out at any one time to two (2) and that you limit the circulation period to five (5) days.
- To change the settings for each Patron Type click on Patron Types and then on Action to the right of each Patron Type. Make sure to Save your settings.
You can add new BookLynx eBooks and digital audio books to your collection by following the directions on our web site at bit.ly/add_delete.
Change the order of the carousels (ribbons) in Destiny Discover to make your eBooks and digital audio books more accessible.
- First click on Display Options in Destiny Discover Admin. Then click on Featured Content.
- Choose the eBooks ribbon and drag it and drop it on the top of the list. (You may have to drag it up, let it go, scroll up and drag and drop it again in order to get it to the top of the list.)
- Then do the same thing to the Audiobooks ribbon, so that it is sitting just below the eBooks ribbon.
- IMPORTANT: When you are finished, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click on Save.
- Then scroll back up to the top and Close the Window, clicking on Yes that you want to close it.
PLEASE NOTE that any changes you Save in settings for Destiny Discover will not be made immediately and can take up to 15 minutes if the Follett servers are busy. You may also have to log out and back in again to see the changes.
Now is a good time to check the Policies settings for all your Patron Types in Destiny Discover, especially students and faculty. See the screen shots below.
Changes to MackinVia Ebooks Access
Publishers working with Mackin have made over 10,000 multiuser eBook titles available to read online. Mackin has set up logins by level for RILINK. Access them at https://www.mackinvia.com/
Enter the following information based on level:
RILINK HS MackinVIA
RILINK MS MackinVIA
RILINK ES MackinVIA
New BookLynx eBooks and Digital Audio Books Added
Distance Learning Resources Update
Some members are experiencing access issues with the ProQuest Trial. We continue to work with ProQuest to resolve this.
The passwords we have publicly published on the guide may be publicly posted on your websites. Please do not publish login information for CultureGrams or Exploring Nature Education Resources on any public forum.
A selection of Lerner Publishing Group’s digital products is now available for free through June 30, 2020.
Townsend Press has made almost all of its content free through the end of the school year (June 19, 2020).
Improved search filters
The following search filters now use sliders so you can easily select a range of values:
- Accelerated Reader®
- Reading Counts®
- Lexile (Books search results tab only)
- Fountas & Pinnell
- Reading Level
- Interest Level
Improved 'Did you mean?' feature
If a search term is entered that does not return any search results due to a misspelling, Destiny Discover automatically uses a corrected spelling. For example, if a student searches for Dr. Suess, it corrects the search term to Dr. Seuss and displays the message: We couldn't find "Dr. Suess" in Books. Showing your results for "Dr. Seuss" instead.
After the installation of Follett Destiny version 18.0 this summer, some older Windows mobile-based scanner models will no longer be compatible. This includes the 7100, Panther and Dolphin scanners as the technology that powers these does not support the latest security standards.
Follett is recommending the VersaScan ($1,300), which you can find at https://tinyurl.com/vn4optm. Follett also offers the 5350 Pocket Scanner ($89), which can connect to tablets and laptops via cable or Bluetooth and can store up to 4,000 scans. See https://tinyurl.com/twvcv8f.
May Inventory Workshop
Are looking for videos and documents to help students and parents accessing your catalog or other resources from home? Remember you can reuse this type of content from
RILINK Managed Widgets, Docs & Videos. Check the newsletter for a screencast of the process of reusing content.
Click to view the Spring Newsletter 2020.