Chapter 6 Sociology
The Adolescent in Society
The Concept of Adolescence
Adolescence did not exist until after the Civil War
- Mandatory education until the age of 16
- Removal of children under the age of 16 from the work force.
- Juvenile-Justice System
Characteristics of Adolescence
- Biological Growth and Development
- Undefined Status
- Increased Decision Making
- Increased Pressure
- The Search for Self
Courtship and Dating
Courtship is not casual, and is done in the parlor of them female's home.
Couples were rarely left alone.
The man, in order to court the young lady had to first meet her parents and ask their permission.
Emergence of Dating
- Form of entertainment. Dating is meant to be fun.
- Mechanism for socialism. Teaches individuals about the habits of both sexes. And allows them to learn how to behave in certain social situations.
- Dating fulfills basic psychological needs. Such as: communication, companionship, and understanding
- One attains status. People are judged based on who they date.
Teen Sexual Behavior
Many things influence teen sexual activity such as:
- Family-income levels
- Parent's marital status
- and Religious Participation.
Teenage Drug Use
Teen Drug Use (cont)
- Most young people, at some point in their teenage years do experiment with drugs, alcohol or tobacco.
- Peer pressure contributes to that number significantly
- Peer pressure
- Social or academic adjustment problems
- Living in a hostile, or rejecting family situation
- When you think of the causes and consequences of suicide you think of individuals
- Think of it as personal act.
- Emile Durkheim classic study of suicide.
- Levels of social integration explain why certain groups have higher rates of suicide.
Predictors of suicide
- Alcohol or drug used increases risks of suicide
- Triggering events cause suicide attempts
- Age most kids 13+ commit suicide
- Sex Females are 3 times more likely to commit suicide
- Population density underpopulated places have higher teen suicide rates
- Family relations weakening of social bonds
- Cluster effect sometimes one suicide triggers multiple attempts