Symmes Elementary School
Friday, January 13, 2017
Report cards will be sent home today with your child. Please check your child's backback!
We have no school on Monday, January 16, due to Martin Luther King, Jr. day. Enjoy your extra long week-end!
Great Gathering for tomorrow: CANCELLED!
Important Dates for your Calendar
Jan. 16 NO SCHOOL - Martin Luther King, Jr. day
Jan. 27 Symmes Cultural Celebration 6:00 - 9:00
Feb. 7 Kindergarten Registration 4:30 - 6:00
BAT (Basic Aid Training) for 3rd graders
Attention Third Grade Parents,
Your children are being taught Basic Aid Training (BAT) by our school nurse, Julie Ferron on the week of January 17th. This is a Red Cross course designed for third graders. Your children will learn the following:
1. Steps for an Emergency Action Plan.
2. How to treat for shock.
3. Where to call in an emergency.
4. What to do if someone chokes.
5. How to treat wounds.
6. How to treat animal bites.
7. What to do if someone falls.
8. Poison and water safety
The boys and girls will be asked to share their knowledge with you. Please, encourage them to teach you what they know.
Help for our Cultural Event on January 27th
We need helpers for Cultural Night January 27! We hope you can join us! If you would like to volunteer to help, please sign up on the link below. Thank you so much!
Kindergarten Registration for the Class of 2030
Kindergarten registration at Symmes is February 7, 2017 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. If you have neighbors with children who will be 5 on or before September 30, 2017, please share this information with them!
Materials needed to register for kindergarten:
- Photo I.D.
- Child’s current immunization records
- Original birth certificate/proof of birth or passport
- Custody papers (if applicable)
- Proof of residence (mortgage deed, current rental/lease agreement)
- Child care provider’s name, address and phone number (if applicable);
- If you are new to the district, you will need to click on "New Student" to begin filling out your information. If you have a current student in the district, please verify that your information is correct in Final Forms. If you cannot fill out your form online, please contact the district office at (513) 686-1709. If there are issues with your online registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you have filled out and completed your forms, please print them out and bring them with you to your registration date.
- A physician’s report and dental report. This should be completed and returned no later than the first day of school.
- If you are interested in Full-Day Kindergarten, please fill out the full day form and turn in at the registration dates above to be entered into the lottery for Full-Day. There is a $100.00 deposit due at time of registration if you are interested in full day kindergarten.
Enroll today for Spanish Classes
PRIZE ROOM PREP VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
The carnival prize committee is looking for an army of volunteers to help mend, sew, wash, and clean plush animals for the prize room at carnival. We are lucky enough to have a great relationship with Kings Island who donates the animals in need of TLC to our school. For those of you who have attended the Symmes carnival, you know that our prize room is second to none--but that is only because of a large army of helpers!
The commitment is very loose: you can come and go as you please on Thursday afternoons from 1:00-3:30 starting Thursday, January 12 and ending the Thursday before carnival, February 23rd. The animals are located at Camilla Millar's home: 11122 Brookbridge Dr. (it is a painted white brick house with a black door). In addition, the week of carnival February 27-March 3), we will need helpers during the day to set up and arrange the prize room---also a commitment that you can come and go as you please.
No experience in sewing is necessary...we need helpers to clean and vacuum animals as well.
Please feel free to come to as many or as few afternoons as you can manage. Even one Thursday afternoon would be appreciated!
If you'd like to be included on further reminder emails that will come out weekly, please let the committee chairs know (send them your conntact info via text or email).
Younger children are welcome...I have toys and games at my house.
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.
Sincerely your prize committee chairs,
Camilla Millar (801) 631-9712, email@example.com
Kristie Cross (614) 657-2085, firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE!
Save the DATE & Mark Your Calendars for the
Biggest and Best PTO Event of the School Year!
Symmes Candyland Carnival 2017!!!
Friday, March 3rd
Carnival is coming! Symmes Candyland Carnival will take place at Symmes Elementary from 5:30-9:00 pm on Friday, March 3rd 2017. Please bring your family and friends to share in this exciting event! All are welcome! Carnival is one of the most fun-filled nights of the year for Symmes’ staff and students. There will be lots of games, great food, and prizes!
Carnival is also our largest PTO fundraiser. Parents will have the opportunity to support our school through the online silent auction, attending great gatherings, trying to win a teacher auction, purchase game/food tickets and much much more.
Last year, with your help, our carnival raised enough money that the PTO was able to provide:
Chromebooks for EACH student in both 2nd and 3rd grades!!
PEACEBUILDERS anti-bullying program
The playground GAGA PIT!!!!
Please take time to “Like” the Symmes Elementary School Facebook page where important information about this event and others will be posted and shared.
More information to follow after winter break.
PERFORM WITH THE SYCAMORE HIGH SCHOOL FLYERETTES!
REGISTER NOW TO DANCE
REGISTRATION IS CLOSING SOON:
The Sycamore High School Dance Team is hosting their annual dance clinic on
Saturday, January 28
**NOTE: there will be 2 clinics this year, one for younger dancers and one for the older dancers.
All dancers will perform with the team during the halftime of the Boy’s Varsity Basketball Game on
Tuesday, January 31.
SAVE THE DATE!! THE GREENE SCHOOL CARNIVAL IS COMING!!!
FEBRUARY 4th 11:00-3:00
We invite you and your family to the annual winter Carnival held at Edwin H. Greene Intermediate School! This is a great opportunity for students to come and get a little “Greene” experience! Look for fun games, great Bid ‘n Buy items, a Basket Raffle, lots of prizes, and delicious food including pizza, snacks, and baked goods!