A work In Progress
I am Kaitlynn Aparicio
Flags of My Background
Artwork and Photography
The Stuff That Interest Me
The Stuff I Can Not Stand
I Want to Be a Veterinarian
Who is a Veterinarian
A vet can work at places like an animal clinic, a farm, or a zoo. In fact, veterinarians also inspect places like a farm to make sure the animals are safe and healthy. They also inspect any place that deals with animals to make sure everything is going great.
Another thing a vet could do, will be trying to come up with medicines.
Multiple Intelligence Results and a Veterinarian
- A vet is an animal doctor, and to be a doctor you will need to know science and math.
- A logical learner exceeds at subjects such as science and math.
- Working with animals means working with your hands.
- Kinaesthetic learners work best with their hands.
- A veterinarian takes care of animals.
- A naturalistic learner enjoys being around animals.
The Future of Vets
Equipment of a Veterinarian
If you do surgery, this is used to seal up and close a wound
Used so an animal will not suffer during surgery
Portable Ultrasound Scanner
Helps give the animal's conditions faster to make quicker judgments about treatment.
Used to measure the temperature.
Allows the vet to hear the heart and lungs of an animal
Vets need to convert measurements. This helps get the correct calculations
Salary of a Vet
The salary of a veterinarian is high. At the beginning of the job, you will be paid approximately $60,000 to $80,000. And just like many other jobs, the more work and experience you do will increase your salary. This is why there is no approximate answer as to how much you may be paid.
In about 5 years, the salary of a vet could be approximately $12,000 to about $16,000.
0.02% x 5 = 0.1
0.1 x 60,000 = 60,000
60,000 + 60,000 = 1200
0.02 x5 = 0.1
0.1 x 80,000 = 80,000
80,000 + 80,000 = 16,000.
WHMIS of a Vet
- Animal attack: Not all animals are extremely friendly when it comes to getting their shots. You must be aware that some animals may hurt you. They might not be doing it on purpose, but they are a creature of habit.
- Diseases: Just because the disease is from the animal, does not mean it can get transferred to you. Many people do get sick from the sickness of their pet. It is one of the reasons why they are taken to a veterinarian.
- Chemicals: Vets work a lot with chemicals. Whether that being from giving the animal anesthetic to the drugs in their medicine, vets work with chemicals a lot in their job. It is very important to make sure that you wear the right equipment so you will not get hurt or sick.
WHMIS Symbols of a Vet
Education of a Vet
The courses you take will mostly be science courses. Some of them include:
- Animal Science
An Application for a Vet
- The length of the program is 4 years.
- One semester cost about $5,004.60
- There is no co-op option.
- There is also no part time study option.
- The Credential Award you will be receiving is the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Budget After University or College
After University or College, I'll have to save a lot of money to live my life afterwards. My parents and the government might not be there to help me pay for the expenses of everything I will own and have to pay. So I have created a personal budget. This budget is annually.
- Housing: $9,600
- Food: $2,400
- Clothing/Laundry: $6,000
- Transportation: $240
- Cell Phone: $480
- Internet/Television: $480
- Entertainment: $1,200
- Recreation/Hobbies: $670
- Travel: $600
- Medical Expenses: $420
- Other Expenses: $600
The total budget of the entire year would be about $22,290. I may not have enough money right after college or university to afford $22,290 a year, so I will have to reduce some of the stuff I do. If I must reduce stuff, it will be the unimportant things. Those stuff include entertainment and recreation. The more important stuff I will have to save for would be the medical expenses.
Awards and Honours
I do plan on getting more awards and honours and recognition by working harder and participating more. I will work hard in class and get the best marks I can. I will also join more sports at school hoping I get picked for the team. I will also try to join sports outside of school such as skating and tae kwon do.
Volunteering and Commendation
I will be getting more volunteer hours soon. I want to volunteer at a pet shelter. But I have to be 16 to go there. So when I am 16 I will go to the shelter and get all or most of my hours. Another way i would get volunteer hours would be my volunteering with my friend. We both want to get hours together. I will take any opportunity I get to earn my hours.
I also do not currently have any commendation letters. But I will try my best to be recognized by my teachers or any other adult for doing my best. I will try to join and participate in sports or any activities inside or outside of school. Therefore, there will be someone to recognize how much I try and how good I am.
Recognized by my French teacher by doing well in French.
Volunteering at school by displaying the art work I have created to the grade 8's.
Resume: A Work In Progress
School So Far
High School Transcript
1 Year After Careers
I have learned a lot from taking the careers course. After this course, I will do everything I can to make sure I have the experience and skills to get into the University of Guelph for Veterinarian Medicine. Then when I graduate, I will make sure I get the job. Here is my plan on what I will do after this course to achieve and complete my goal
- February: I need experience with animals to become a veterinarian. So when I turn 16, I am going to go to a pet shelter and get my volunteer hours over there.
- March: Join a sport (hopefully tae kwon do) where I can have extra curricular achievements and awards that I can put in a future resume.
- April: Look up some more information on what I will have to do to become a veterinarian in the future.
- May: I will study for the upcoming exams. Since I have science next semester and vets deal with science,I have to make sure I finish that course with a high mark.
- June: Maybe make a photography blog/website where people can visit my website. This may give them an idea of what type of person I am.
- July: If I have enough experience with animals, I will try to apply for a job as a vet assistant. That way I get even more experience. Also, I can see if I really want to become a vet when I am older.
- August: I will start to get ready for the next school year of grade 11. Universities and Collages will definitely look at my marks here, I want to get high marks.
- September: I want to start of the new school year great. I want to be better and more interactive than I am this year.
- October: Try to visit the University or Collage that I will want to go to in the future.
- November: Visit places where animals are kept and the working ranges of a vet.
- December: Start working on CPTs so I do not have to stress out when exams are near.
- January: Study for the first exams of grade 11.
10 Year Goal
- A photography website: I have been thinking about creating a website to display my photos. It would be have a successful website of my own, or maybe with a friend. As long as it is created, I do not mind making it with someone.
- Joining Tae Kwon Do: If there is one sport that I am interested in doing right now, it will have to be doing tae kwon do. Tae kwon do is a Korean martial arts of self defense. I think it would be fun to learn how to fight. So if I ever need to defend myself from the bad guys, I will be prepared!
- Skating: Another sport or hobby that I would enjoy doing more often would be skating. I love going outside in the winter and skating around on the ice. It is so much fun for me. One type of skating that I am thinking of joining is speed skating.
- Family time: I do want to spend more time with my family. Whether that be from spending time with my brother, mom, dad, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, or even family from another country when they visit. I am always in my own world doing my own things, and they are always at work or busy doing their things. I want things to be like how they used to be before, when we all spent family time with each other.
- Being with friends: Other than family, I would also want to spend more time with my friends. I do not see them as much as I use to before because I switched schools and moved. We either do not have time to see each other because of school work or because our schedules get in the way of seeing each other. I would like that to change. I do not want to lose them just because we can not hang out as much.
- Part time job: I want to earn some money so I can pay of the things I want instead of asking my parents to buy me stuff all the time. I want to know that I will be able to pay of things by myself without anyone's help.
- Volunteering: To finish of high school, I have to complete 40 hours of volunteering. If I have to volunteer somewhere, I want to volunteer at a pet shelter, therefore I can earn experience with animals to become a vet.
- Traveling: After high school, if I have enough money, I would love to travel around the world to any where. It does not matter who I travel with, as long as I have someone to come with me and enjoy the experience of traveling.
- University or Collage: I need to go into university or collage. I must get into it so I can have the knowledge of who I will become in the future.
- My career: Lastly, I want to start working in my career. I want to know that I have accomplished my dream job and I want to start earning money from the career of my choice. I want to be proud of myself that I can achieve something special.
Standard of Living
- Traveling the world - I have a wanderlust. I want to travel the world and see and visit places I have never been to. It would be a dream come true.
- Owning a puppy - I've always wanted a dog or puppy ever since I was kid. But unfortunately I never got one. When I am older, I want to afford and take care of a puppy. I want to be able to have a companion with me where ever I go.
- Moving to the city - The city always looks so nice to live in. When I do get to visit the city, I am always so excited to go. I hear a lot of people say how living in the city is amazing. The city at night is also really pretty.
- Affording a nice car - I want to afford a nice car that will get me places. I do not want a car that will break down or need an oil change every time. Just something that looks nice and can take me somewhere.
- Taxes - I will have to be able to pay my taxes every month. Even if it means not travelling or getting a puppy in the first few years. I do not want to go into debt and loose everything I have. The taxes must be payed off!
I will be able to afford all the stuff I want to do when I become a vet. A vet gets paid a high salary. So affording and paying off all the stuff I want should be accessible. Even if I have to wait a few years for all the stuff I want to happen, it will happen, guaranteed.
What do you want to do in the future? A question so simple, yet so hard to answer. I did not know the answer at first. In fact, I never really thought about it a lot. I had a few ideas about who I wanted to be, but I was never entirely sure if that was what I truly wanted to do. A veterinarian? A journalist? A photographer? A forensic anthropologist? There are so many jobs out there to choose from. The answer cannot be that simple. This is why there is careers class. This class helped me further understand what my dream career would be. I had learnt a lot from taking this class which would be very useful in the future.
I never thought that knowing who you are is an important concept when choosing a career, but it turns out that it is extremely important. For example, what if you chose to be a talk show host, but you do not like talking in front of hundreds of people or being on camera. You would not end up liking that job very much. In order for you to choose a career you would enjoy, you must know a couple things about yourself. What do you like? What do you dislike? What are your skills? What are your talents? How would you like to live in the future? All these questions are important when choosing your career. For instance, if you like writing but hate being on camera, then maybe becoming an author or a journalist would be a good career for you. It is also important to know your standard of living. If you would like to live in a big house and own an expensive car, then you better check the salary of your job to make sure you would be able to afford it. In the end, knowing who you are is a big aspect when choosing your career.
You may know what the basic stuff you would have to do for your job, but do you know how to get there and the other things about your job that television does not tell you. Researching about your job is one of the top things you would have to do when choosing a career. You have to know what is really going on during the job. You cannot just know the snippets of it and say that is the job for you. Just because it looks simple to do, does not mean it really is. The people you see who do this job only make it seem easy because they have a lot of experience, even then you still may not see the full picture of the job. It takes a long time to earn that's job. You have to go to the right college or university and get the right education. You also have to have a bit of experience with your job if possible. Even when you did all of the right education and research, another hard part is applying for the job. You must have the perfect resume and cover letter. Even if you have the tiniest mistake, they will catch it and not even let you be interviewed. Applying for a job can be complicated, but as long as you say the right things, you will be fine. Knowing your job is just as important as doing your job.
Currently, I want to become a veterinarian. I love animals and always dreamed of having one. Since my favourite subject is science and vets deal with science, then this job will be perfect for me. I am always so happy when I am around animals, so this job will be amazing. This career will take a while to get into. The courses I have to take in high school will all be academic and mostly science courses, which I am fine with. There will also be a few math courses too. School for a veterinarian is long and hard. I will have to be in school for 8 more years after high school. The school that I chose to go to will be the University of Guelph. It is one of the best universities in Canada for future veterinarians. This school will help me learn a lot about veterinarians and how to become a successful one. To help me get into the university of Guelph for veterinarian medicine, I must get experience with animals. To do so, I will volunteer at a animal shelter, that way I can be used to being around animals. Thanks to this careers class, I have researched a lot to make sure I know a lot about the career I may want in the future. I now know more about veterinarians. They do not just help animals feel better with just a needle, it takes a lot more work. I also know the pros and cons of a vet. Knowing this information has helped me understand the work of a vet more, this way I can see if I really want to be a vet. Even if I change my mind in the future, a vet is who I want to be now.
At the end of the day, it is all up to me to decide what I want to be in the future. It will be hard, but I will get there somehow. The career of my choice now may not be the career I will end up with, but that is okay. As long as I am happy with my career and future, then I am fine. This careers class has taught me a lot that will actually help me in the future. From choosing the right career to making the perfect resume and cover letter. If this class did not exist, then I will never know how to do the things I need to do to achieve my dream career.