Fifth Grade Newsletter
November 8, 2018
SPELLING BEE TOMORROW!
It's Almost Time for Camp!
The weather is scheduled to be sunny and around 60 during the day but cold in the morning and at night. Our cabins are heated but we recommend you pack a warm jacket, a light jacket or hoody, gloves and a hood or hat.
We would like to remind you:
- Students should bring a snack for the bus ride there, and then 3 or 4 additional snacks to eat during the day
- NO TECHNOLOGY is allowed for the students including smart watches
- Regular watches and Fitbits are okay, but at the risk of being lost
- Students have to carry their sleeping bag and luggage themselves so keep things small
- Your child will need a small drawstring type bag for during the day
- Send an extra trash bag for bedding on the way home
- Check weather for Tyler and pack accordingly
- All students will be required to carry ALL of their own luggage.
- Do not send your child to camp if they are sick
- Students who are disrespectful and break the code of conduct will be sent home
In addition, please make sure you have arranged for your child to be picked up from school on Friday the 16th, as they will be unable to walk or ride with all their camping gear. We will be keeping you informed of our arrival time via Twitter @5th_intents
For more information on Pine Cove camp visit https://www.pinecove.com/outdoor-education/
MEDICINE AT PINE COVE
Please remember that all medications to be taken at Pine Cove must be turned in by Nov 12th along with any doctor’s notes needed. Please make sure all medication is brought to the nurse in their original packaging. All prescription medication must be in a current prescription bottle with the prescription label intact.
Please do not think this is the time to take your student off of their ADHD medication if they normally take ADHD meds. Doing so can lead to a bad experience. This is still a learning environment and they DO need to be able to concentrate and be productive even though they are outside.
If you have any questions regarding medication, please feel free to contact Mrs. Vanstory, the nurse, at 469-633-2208! Thank you!
November 9 - Veteran's Day Program at Celebrate Smith
November 12- Medicines and doctor notes due to Nurse Vanstory
November 13 - Grub Burger Spirit Night (mention Smith for 20% proceed donation)
November 14-16- Pine Cove trip
November 19-23-Thanksgiving Break, No School!
Reading - Genre study
Writing - Writing Speeches
Science - Review
Social Studies - Colonial Newscast
Lone Star Challenge Try-Out Time!
Is your child interested in Lone Star Challenge? Lone Star Challenge is an academic team made up of 9 students (a mixture of 4th and 5th graders). Students that make the Lone Star team will study the topic and participate in a Super Quiz on Saturday, April 27th at Independence High School, as well as take timed tests and write an essay. This year our topic is “The Fabulous 50s”. Students will be chosen to be on the team based on a try-out test and essay score, and/or participation in his/her classroom. If your child would like to try-out for the Lone Star Challenge team, you will need to do the following:
1- Complete the Google Participation Form: https://goo.gl/forms/WCBXw6n0TFd5JaSu22- Mark your calendar for the tryout test date and time (December 10, 2:55).
3- Make sure your child studies the packet given to them by the LS