Bureau of Youth & Adolescent Health
"I am as much of a citizen of this world as I am of this country. To [heck] with those people who are critical of what I am able to do to help save people's lives. I don't mean to sound hokey, but I grew up on the Christian ethic which says we are supposed to help the least of our brothers [and sisters]."
Happy 73rd Birthday Mickey!
George Thomas "Mickey" Leland
George Thomas “Mickey” Leland became famous as the champion of healthcare rights. He built his political reputation around health issues for poor people soon after he won a seat in the Texas State Legislature in 1972. Before that, as a pharmacy student at Texas Southern University (TSU), where he later taught clinical pharmacy, he toured low-income neighborhoods with nursing and medical students to inform families about available medical services in local clinics – information they would otherwise not have had.
In 1978 Mr. Leland was elected to the United States House of Representatives from the 18th Congressional District of Houston, Texas. He was re-elected to each succeeding Congress until his death in 1989. The work for which he is best remembered began when he chaired the House Select Committee on Hunger, creating the National Commission on Infant Mortality, which led to better access to fresh food for at-risk women, children and infants, and the first comprehensive services for the homeless.
Building a Community of Practice
Houston Health Department Response in the Hurricane Harvey Recovery Effort
Inaugural Obama Foundation Summit 2017 [Recap]
Obama Foundation (OF) Programs
1. Fellowship – The OF Fellowship seeks to support and elevate outstanding civic innovators from around the world to amplify the impact of the work and to inspire wave of civic innovations.
2. OF Summit – The OF will invite civic leaders from around Chicago, the US and the world to come together to exchange ideas, explore creative solutions to common problems and experience civic art, technology, and music annually.
3. Training Days – The OF will host training days to energize young people, particularly those who are not yet engaged in civic life – and serve as the navigators to in the early stages of their journey.
4. My Brother’s Keeper Alliance – MBKA will ensure all young people can reach their full potential through mentoring, youth violence reduction, and civic engagement.
Top 10 Takeaways. What stands out to you on the list?
Mayor Turner's Complete Communities Initiative
We Are Seeking Your Support!
Connect your ability, services or time to support our local campuses with the "MBK Call to Action". We are collaborating with our local feeder campuses to bring them the following:
My Brother's Keeper Milestone Snapshots
· MBK Houston has partnered with the Houston Public Library in assisting JetBlue is continuing its mission of inspiring humanity with JetBlue For Good Month, a month-long celebration of kindness and good deeds. JetBlue For Good is JetBlue’s platform for social impact and corporate responsibility. Building on JetBlue’s signature Soar with Reading literacy program, designed to inspire and encourage kids' imaginations to take flight through reading, volunteers on this trip will check in with elementary schools in communities which have been impacted by Harvey, have low literacy rates targeted by MBK Houston and where their libraries are still closed. Volunteers will ride along with the library’s Mobile Express, HPL’s library-on-wheels, and help operate “pop up” libraries, distribute free books and host reading events, alongside partners from Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing.
Real Men Read @ Bruce ES
Dates: (Thursdays) December 14th, January 18th, February 15th and May 17th
Time: 10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a. m.
Location: Bruce Elementary School
Contact: Rachel Barrios 713-226-4560 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all volunteers must complete the HISD VIPS screening process.
Mickey Leland College Preparatory Academy for Young Men Grand Opening Celebration Nov 14, 2017
The Mickey Leland College Preparatory Academy for Young Men, originally Young Men's College Preparatory Academy at E. O. Smith Elementary School, is a university preparatory secondary school for boys in the Fifth Ward community. It is a part of the Houston Independent School District (HISD) and is named after George Thomas "Mickey" Leland. HISD modeled the school after the Urban Prep Academy in Chicago, where 100% of their seniors graduated with their high school diplomas and college admission letters.
Young Men Empowerment Series: "We Salute You"
Community Health Worker Certification Training
Next Class on December 2, 2017 (More information below)
CPPP Seeks Paid Spring Interns in Austin
The Research and Planning Intern will help use data to connect the dots, building systems for staff development and support, and engaging allies in the pursuit of CPPP's vision for Texas. The internship is perfect for a resilient and positive student with an interest in data management and analysis and its relation to policy development.
The Communications Intern will gain experience in strategic public policy communications. The ideal intern candidate is pro-active, energetic, flexible and strategic, and will help turn CPPP's detailed policy analysis into vivid publications, graphics, videos and more. Applicants should have very strong writing or production abilities, solid time management and organizational skills, and a passion for public policy.
- Starts in January!
- Must be currently enrolled graduate or undergraduate students
- Apply by Wednesday, December 6 or spread the word!
-->See the Full Posting for details
Clean Slate Cooperative Expunction
There were fourteen (14) exhibitors who participated at the event. There was a total of forty-three (43) clean slate personnel present on the day of the event this includes exhibitors, staff, and volunteers. One of the volunteer attorneys assisting with screening was from Greenberg & Traurig.
Check below for our next event on December 1.
Bronx Charity Founder Wants to Pay Bail for Poor Defendants Nationwide
Support our Houston Health Foundation!
Tuesday, Nov. 28th, 12am-11:45pm
This is an online event.
Clean Slate Cooperative "Expunction/Sealing/Non-Disclosure"
Friday, Dec. 1st, 10am-2pm
1475 West Gray Street
Clean Slate Cooperative is a collaboration between Harris County
Precinct One Commissioner Rodney Ellis and the Earl Carl Institute’s Juvenile
Justice Project. In partnership with My Brother’s Keeper Houston, Beacon Law, Lone Star Legal Aid, Juvenile and Capital Advocacy Project at the University of Houston Law Center. Participants will obtain free legal assistance in obtaining sealing, expunction, and non-disclosure of criminal records. Life-skills, housing, and employment partners will be available to assist participants with wrap-around services.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.