Comet & Asteroid Assignment
By Christian Gray
- Comets are an object made of ice and dust that gets a "tail" when it gets close to the sun.
- Comets form when the remains of planets.
- Comets orbit the sun in a weird oval shaped when planets orbit the sun in a circular shape.
- From far away, comets look like balls of ice flying through space. From close up they look like rocks letting out gases and dust.
- The picture to the right is a picture of the comet ISON which scientist figured out recently to be a dud.
- Asteroids are rock in space that orbit the sun. They are to small to be considered planets, so people call them " minor planets".
- A meteorite is a lot smaller than asteroids and comets. Asteroids are medium sized rocks that orbit the sun. Finally, meteors are referred to the flash of light caused by a meteorite.
- A near-earth asteroid that has come to close to the earth or has been moved by the earths gravity.
- One theory is that an asteroid hit our planet and caused the dinosaurs to become extinct.
- The picture to the left shows an asteroid that came extremely close to the earth on Sunday September 5, 2014
News Article Citation
"Russian Scientist Discovers Huge New Asteroid That Could Crash to Earth | News."The Moscow Times. N.p., 7 Dec. 2014. Web. 09 Dec. 2014. <http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/russia-finds-huge-new-asteroid-warns-could-crash-to-earth/512692.html>.