Life's Changes Support Group
Talking about and coping with grief
We are half way into our "Life's Changes" small group. This is the first of 2 updates that I will send to communicate the topics we have discussed. Of course your child can speak to you or anyone else about what he or she has discussed; however, other students' comments must be kept confidential.
If your child has not shared, I want to update you on what we have discussed thus far!
Session #2: What's Your Story?
- Students were able to identify their feelings related to their change.
- Students shared their life change: Divorce, Separation, and/or Death.
Session #3: Introduction to the Stages of Grief
- Students were introduced to each stage of grief
- Shock & Denial - First stage of disbelief and numbness
- Bargaining & Guilt - Hard stage; Thinking if you changed one thing, results would've changed
- Anger - Emotional state of facing new reality
- Depression - Lowest emotional state where one can not see any light at the end
- Resignation - Finally believing change occurred
- Acceptance & Hope - Accepting life's change but able to move on and focus on current relationships
- Students identified their current stage
- Students connected the stage to feelings
Which stage do you think your child is in? (Which stage are you in?)
Some students may need additional attention and I will be happy to meet with you and your child if you believe some additional assistance may be needed.