The Quill 4-2-21
A Thought or Two From Mr. Nieslanik
Class of 2021,
This year has been one of upheaval, one of uncertainty, and one of waiting. It is easy to say, "It will all be okay", "We will see you soon", and "Oh, well". But any of these feelings, thoughts, and comments don't get at the heartache of what was lost. I am not one to hold regrets, for my personality is too gregarious. But I do have regrets that the entire senior year experience was taken away from the Class of 2021. I also know that traditionally this time of year the senior class begins to come together, put bygones behind them, and begin to look forward to what comes next, as graduation nears. We have the opportunity to do just this thing, to come together as the twenty-first Graduating Class of Southridge High School, to celebrate the time we have together, and to transition out of the past twelve years of schooling into our whatever comes next. Skyhawks, let's do it! Let's take this last quarter of the year, and the last small piece of your high school experience, and celebrate, honor, and remember what was, what is, and what lies before us.
Within the next several weeks, a formal letter with all of the end-of-the-year senior events will come your way. Do know that we still are functioning of changing scenarios, and we promise to keep you updated in a timely and thoughtful manner. We begin this year's senior communication with this special edition of The Quill.
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
FAFSA / ORSAA
As you begin to finalize your plans for after high school, don't forget to complete your FAFSA or ORSAA applications. DACA or undocumented students should complete the ORSAA. Whichever application is right for you, it can help you pay for whatever continuing educationcomes next. Many students will qualify for more money than they expect and often, additional scholarships are awarded based on financial need. Please speak with your student's counselor with any questions or begin your FAFSA or ORSAA here.
Class of 2021 Welcome Home Celebration
Important Senior Dates and Information
5/19: Class of 2021 Moments: 11:00am-1:00pm on the Plaza and in the Fishbowl.
- Join us for fun, games, and celebration as a senior class on in a social distanced manner.
5/24-5/28: Homecoming Week
- Spirit Days, Southridge Idol, and Summer Festival on Wednesday 5/26 from 2:00-3:00 for seniors full of games, food trucks, cotton candy, and raffles, all in a safe, social distanced environment.
5/26 and 5/27: Mock Interviews
- This year's seniors did not have an opportunity to participate in a professional mock interview. Information will be shared with seniors through advisory.
6/3 or 6/4: Senior Checkout: 3:30-5:30
- Return of all SRHS Items and pick up Prom and Graduation tickets, more information to come.
6/5: Senior (and dates) Prom-Like Event: 7:30-10:00pm
- We are not sure how we will run this exactly, but it will formatted in cohorts, social distanced interactions, and an opportunity to attend your high school prom....during a pandemic. This prom will be free and at SRHS.
6/8: Senior Awards Celebration: 6:00pm.
- Details to follow on process and location.
6/9: Seniors Last Day Celebrations:
- 9:00-10:00am Senior Breakfast
- 10:00-11:30am Graduation Rehearsal
- 11:30am Senior Paper Toss
- Release of Senior Video
6/13: Graduation at 11:00am:
- Information below, with much of the information to be determined.