October 18, 2019
From the Principal
It’s been an amazing Homecoming week with beautiful hall decorations, colorful dress-up days, special lunchtime activities, and a spirit-filled pep assembly on Thursday. We’re looking forward to an exciting Homecoming football game and fun dance on Saturday night. A huge thanks to our student leaders for their planning efforts and to all Raiders who participated in various events. We are thrilled to have so many students involved!
As we move beyond this week, we recognize that the end of the first quarter (November 4) is quickly approaching. We encourage students and families to check student progress in Skyward and email teachers for more information as needed. If you need your parent login, please email Student Services administrative assistant Catherine Redekop.
For extra assistance, our Red Raider Study Hour is offered from 3:15-4:15, Monday through Thursday, in Room 203. In addition to a quiet study place, tutoring is available in English, History, and Math (through pre-calculus) each day. Experts in Physics and Chemistry are available on Wednesdays and Thursdays. We also provide snacks and bus passes at these after-school support sessions. Please contact Jeremy Brinkerhoff, Student Success coordinator, for more information.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful students with our staff. It’s a great week to be a Red Raider!
Linda Wise Miller, BHS Principal
Coach Chronister Joins the Pink Squad!
Celebrate Homecoming by Donating to BHS
Today was Thanos Thursday. Watch the video created by ASB President and resident Superhero, Jaden Stevenson, to learn how the Red Raider PTSA Fund impacts our students. Become a Superhero yourself by donating today!
Donate easily by returning the Red Raider PTSA Envelope sent home with your student or via Paypal. Thank you for your support.
Important Upcoming 2020 AP Exam Registration and Payment Changes
Dear Families of Students taking AP Classes:
The AP® Program has introduced new resources and processes designed to help students earn college credit and placement. Here’s what you and your student need to know:
· BHS AP students will be asked to register and pay for their AP Exams October 1-31, 2019 at the BHS ASB office, or online https://wa-bellingham.intouchreceipting.com/
· The 2020 fee is $47 per exam. Students who qualify to receive free or reduced lunch will have their AP exam fees waived, provided they submit a Low-Income Student Verification Form to the ASB office, signed by a parent/guardian, prior to the registration deadline. This form is available at the ASB office.
· There will be a $40 fee for late registration (after 11/15) and a $40 cancellation or unused exam fee
· AP Exams will be held May 4 - May 15, 2020
· AP students should have already signed in to myap.collegeboard.org and enrolled in their AP class sections using the unique join code provided by their teacher for each AP class.
Please do not hesitate to contact me, or your child’s AP teacher, if you have questions.
Chris Carlson - Assistant Principal
Career and Community Events
The Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship Program this application is now live for students to self-nominate and apply for a one-time scholarship of $2,500.
- The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Open October 1. All seniors should apply. Come to the Career Center if you need assistance.
- College Admissions Recruiters are headed to BHS! Sign up in the Career Center!
- Western Washington University: October 21 @ 10:00 am
- UW Bothell: October 22 @ 9:00 am
- Lewis and Clark College: October 22 @ 1:30 pm
- Grand Canyon University: October 23 @ 10:00 am
- Seattle Pacific University: October 23 @ 10:45
- Whitman University: October 25 @ 10:30 am
- League of Women Voters: October 25 @ (Lunches) register to vote
- Simon Fraser University: October 25 @ 1:15 pm
After-School Dinner Program Free for All Students 18 and Under
Bellingham Public Schools currently offers free hot dinner to all children 18 and under in the community. These meals are offered daily Mondays through Thursdays through June 4, 2020. Dinner is served from 5 to 6 p.m. at Shuksan Middle School, located at 2717 Alderwood Avenue (at the corner of Northwest and Alderwood).
Please note: Accompanying adults are charged $4.25 All meals must be eaten onsite in the Shuksan cafeteria and “to go” options are not available. Dinner will not be served on the following Thursdays that are middle school early dismissal days: Oct. 31, Nov. 27, (Wed.), Dec. 12, Feb. 6, March 5, April 30.
The after-school dinner program is sponsored by the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
For more information, contact Food Services for Bellingham Public Schools.