The Cougar Pounce
staying connected @ShuksanMS
Announcements :: Week of February 15
Monday, 2/15. No School/ Holiday
Wednesday, 2/17. 4-5:30pm. Food Box and Book Pick Up.
Thursday, 2/18. Grade 6 (M-Z at school)
Monday, 2/22. Grade 6 (A-L at school)
Thursday, 2/25. Grade 7 (M-Z at school). Monday 3/1 (A-L at school).
Thursday, 3/4. Grade 8 (M-Z at school). Monday 3/8 (A-L at school).
February 14, 2021
There is a lot of information to process about Hybrid and In-Person Learning. We want families to know that Gr6 students with last names M-Z will start at school on Thursday, 2/18 (students A-L stay at home).
If you have any questions, we want to answer them. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
Counseling Staff Emails
Stay warm and Happy Lunar New Year!
In-Person Learning Begins 2/18 for Grade6
As you may have read from Dr. Baker’s recent message, we plan to bring our middle school students back for in-person learning beginning on February 18th. We are excited to have our students back at school.
What is a hybrid model?
Middle School students will attend school in a hybrid model, which means that they will be learning both in-person and remotely. Teachers will deliver whole group instruction via Zoom to all students (both in-person and remote students). Teachers will be checking in with both in-person and remote students during practice time. Students at school will have an assigned seat and will be required to follow COVID safety protocols that include wearing a mask, washing hands, using hand sanitizer, physical distancing from others. Each student will receive training on our school safety protocols during homeroom before the first day of in person learning.
We also realize that some families may not be ready for the in-person return to school. You may choose to remain in remote learning.
On what days will my student attend school?
Cohorts Linked to Students' Last Names
- If you last name starts with letters A-L, your students are on campus Mondays and Tuesdays (A Cohort). Our Wednesday schedule stays the same (Homeroom only, asynchronous learning). On Thursdays and Fridays, your students continue remote live learning from home.
- If you last name starts with letters M-Z, your students are on campus Thursdays and Fridays (B Cohort). Our Wednesday schedule stays the same (Homeroom only, asynchronous learning). On Mondays and Tuesdays, your students continue remote learning from home.
We are happy to share this January 2021 newsletter listing heritage months, cultural celebrations, holidays and other information supporting the important work of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) in Bellingham Public Schools.
Book PIck Up
Check out digital books and audio books using Libby through the BPL! Ask Mrs. Fisher for help with any Libby questions
Visit our @theLibrary Website for book recs, tech help and other resources.
Book PIck Up
Bellingham Community Meals ** last Saturday of the month
ASSUMPTION CHURCH GYM : 2116 Cornwall Ave
- These free meals are the last Saturday of each month from January through October.
- Due to Covid restrictions they are serving only To Go Meals from 12:30-2:30.
- Meals served at Assumption Gym, 2116 Cornwall Ave.
NW BAPTIST : 3545 Northwest Ave
- breakfast beginning at 8:30am until we run out.
- meal, coffee or hot chocolate and a fruit.
- starts 2/27
served by Northwest Baptist Church and The Bridge Church
Great ideas from Kelly Giles, the Student Assistance Professional at Shuksan
SMS Counseling Team
Ms. Besson and Ms. Cowan are excited to connect with you and to support families and students in a variety of ways.
- Questions: schedule, community resources, or just want to chat, please contact Ms. Besson at (360) 746-4132 and Ms. Cowan at (360) 303-2818.
- Zoom counseling with students! Let us or your Homeroom Teacher know you'd like to do weekly check ins.
- Counseling referrals for Compass Counseling. Please contact us and we will walk you through a referral packet to get counseling started.
If you'd like to join our mailing list, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.