With the arrival of the mid-term of Trimester 3, we are entering the final six weeks of the school year. We are looking forward to a strong conclusion to the year as we focus on the goals and areas of growth the students shared with parents during the “learning conversations” in April.
Our kids have experienced a once-in-a-lifetime school year and have overcome a litany of obstacles to continue their learning. Your students have shown resilience and courage in responding to distance, blended, and in-person learning. They have adapted to remote instruction, to the Canvas learning platform, to learning with masks and social distancing. Lots of challenges but also lots of growth.
While maintaining focused instruction in the remaining weeks, we will also be assessing the learning of the students over the past year. Our eighth-graders will take the Montana Science Assessment this week. They will then complete the Smarter Balanced Assessments in literacy and math next week (May 11-13) with our sixth- and seventh-graders taking it May 18-20. These tests will demonstrate the growth of each individual as well as provide insight into the effectiveness of our school’s instruction. Please encourage your students to do their best and ensure they have proper rest and nutrition on the days of the tests.
Thank you again for your continued investment in your students’ learning. We are grateful to work with them each day.
2021 SMS Yearbook
Don't forget to buy the 2021 yearbook!
Order online at walsworthyearbooks.com until May 15th.
Or send $25 cash or check (Sacajawea Middle School) with your student. They can turn it in at the counseling office:
Kace Doornbos, Room A15.
News from the SMS Library
May is Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month!
Visit the SMS Library to check-out books BY Asian/Pacific Americans ABOUT Asian/Pacific Americans!
UPCOMING EVENT - USED BOOK SALE!!! June 1st - 4th
Spring Cleaning??? Hey, then donate those gently-used adult and children’s books (no textbooks please) to the SMS Library! Proceeds benefit our library collection and curriculum.
Thank you for your support!!!
The sale will be open to the public from 7:30am-4:00pm. Please check in at the front desk before heading to the library.
Sacajawea Middle School Outdoor Club
The Outdoor Club is finishing another good year together. Students were able to meet and learn more about fly-tying, Montana native fish, aquatic insects, river health and fly-fishing.
We give a big thank you to Montana Angler Fly Shop for providing fly-tying materials for kids.
2021-2022 All In One Forms June 1
The 2021-2022 All In One forms will be posted in PowerSchool on June 1st. Please submit these required forms as soon as possible. For questions or a login password reset contact:
Sacajawea Middle School Registrar
Attention: 6th Grade Parents - Required Tdap Immunization for 7th Grade Entry
the TdaP booster. Now is the time to review your child’s immunization status and take steps for your child to receive this required vaccination. Students will not be allowed to attend classes until they have received this vaccination.
It is important that the parent/guardian provide documentation of any immunizations to the SMS Counseling Office for your student’s records. Please fax proof of immunization to 522-6474; drop off a copy at the SMS main office; or email to email@example.com
Kids Summer Lunch Program!
Dear Parents or Guardians,
Summer meals for kids are available for pick-up all summer long at sites across our community! Grabbing a summer meal not only saves you time and money spent grocery shopping and meal prepping; it also helps our school and community get back on its feet. Please know that students who receive P-EBT food benefits can also still pick up grab-n-go summer meals!
Summer Meals Program Details:
June 14 – August 27
● Meals are FREE to ALL children and teens ages 18 and younger who come to a summer meals site.
● No application or proof of income is needed. Simply show up to the meal site!
● Food served is healthy and follows USDA guidelines.
● Summer meals sites are fun, safe, and accessible places.
● Meals sites operate Monday through Friday at lunchtime.
● Parents and guardians can pick up meals on their kids’ behalf.
The meal sites closest to the school are located at:
- MSU Family and Graduate Housing:12:00 - 1:00 pm (Next to the playground on the corner of W. Garfield and Paisley Court)
- Bozeman Public Library: 12:00 - 1:00 pm
- Irving School: 12:00-1:00 pm
To find pick-up sites near you, visit:gallatinvalleyfoodbank.org or text FOOD to 877-877. You can also call 1-866-3-HUNGRY for more information.
Have a safe and healthy summer!
Estimados Padres o Tutores:
¡Tenemos comidas gratis este verano para los niños en nuestra comunidad! Agarrar una no solo le ahorra tiempo y dinero en la compra y preparación; también ayuda a su escuela y comunidad a recuperarse. ¡No olvide que los estudiantes que reciben beneficios de P-EBT (Transferencia Electrónica de Beneficios por Pandemia) también pueden recibir las comidas de verano para llevar!
Detalles del Programa de Comidas de Verano:
14 de junio - 27 de agosto
● Las comidas son gratis para los niños y adolescentes hasta los 18 años.
● ¡No necesita una solicitud o inscripción! ¡Solo agarrar y llevar!
● Las comidas que se sirven son sanas y siguen las pautas nutricionales de la USDA.
● Los lugares de comida son seguros, divertidos, y fácil acceso.
● Las comidas se sirvieron de 12 a 1 p.m. todos los días entre semana.
● Los padres y tutores pueden recibir las comidas para los niños.
Los lugares de comida más cercanos de nuestra escuela son:
- MSU Family and Graduate Housing: de 12:00 - 1:00 pm (Busca el letrero “Summer Lunch” en W. Garfield y Paisley Court)
- Bozeman Public Library: de 12:00 a 1:00 pm
- Irving School: 12:00 a 1:00 pm
Para encontrar lugares de comida cercanos a usted, envíe la palabra COMIDA al 877-877 o visite gallatinvalleyfoodbank.org. También puede llamar 1-877-8-HAMBRE, para recibir más información.
¡Que tenga un verano seguro y sano!
Looking for some fun Summer activities for your Middle Schooler? From sports to art to science, there is truly something for every interest.
Below is digital link to the Bozeman Montana Parent Camp Guide:
Many camps have in-house scholarships. Inquire directly to the camp itself, as early scholarships go fast!
For these and other parenting tips, contact your SMS Thrive Parent Liaison:
firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 406-813-1617.
Performance Art Class Productions
8th grade Performance Class performs Check Please by Jonathan Rand on Wednesday, May 26th from 11:30 -12:15 (location TBD).
7th grade Performance Class performs 10 Ways to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse by Don Zolidis on Wednesday, May 26th from 1:45-2:30 (location TBD).
7th grade Performance Class selections from What Would Happen If? Eight 10-minute Tales of Improbability by Sean Abley, Scott Oken, Randy Wyatt, Amy Seeley on Thursday, May 27th at 2:30-3:15 (location TBA).
- 6 Jazz Band Concert, 7:30 - 8:30 pm, SMS Gym
- 12 Band Concert, GHS Auditorium: 6th Grade - 6:30 pm, 7th Grade - 7:20 pm, 8th Grade - 8:10
- 15 Speech & Debate Meet, SMS, 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
- 24 Choir Concert, 6:00 - 8:30 pm, Willson Auditorium
- 26 Performance Art Productions: 8th grade: 11:30 am - 12:15 pm, 7th grade: 1:45 - 2:30 pm (location TBD)
- 27 Performance Art Production, 7th grade, 2:30 - 3:15 pm (location TBD)
- 28 PIR Day - No School
- 31 Memorial Day Holiday - No School
- 2 Orchestra Concert, 6:30 pm, Willson Auditorium
- 8 8th Grade Celebration, 7:00 - 8:00 pm, VanWinkle Stadium
- 10 Last Day of School, Early Release 12:45 pm
Box Tops For Education
Did you know Sacajawea Middle School is part of the Box Tops for Education program?
It has changed to a mostly digital program. Traditional clip out Box Tops are being phased out but you can still send them to school (make sure it doesn’t say scan) to be turned in to the library.
The new process is so much easier!
1. Get the free new and improved Box Tops mobile app on your phone
2. Buy your groceries and ask for the receipt
3. Get into your car and take pictures of your receipt (within 14 days) with the app.
4. It will find any qualifying products and give 10 cents for each one to the school.
The money adds up and is used to enhance the book selection at our library.
It’s costs you nothing but 30 seconds of your time and you can help ALL the students at your child’s school. Encourage your friends and relatives to do the same.
On the Box Tops for Education website, you can find coupons and special deals.
Thank you so much for giving back to others!
Your PAC Team & SMS Library