The 21st Century Librarian
"the times they are a changing"
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS OF a SCHOOL LIBRARIAN
- What Web 2.0 tools are best for my class when making an animated video?
- Should I use Smore or Pikochart to make interesting flyers?
- Is Finding Dulcinea a better search for my students or should I use Google Custom Search?
- When doing a research project with middle school students do you suggest the Big 6 model or Stripling's inquiry model?
- How do I find an appropriate tool to spark the imagination in my 3rd grade story tellers?
- Do you think Story Bird is a good product?
- Would you help curate some information on International Women's Issues?
- Do you think I should use MentorMob or EdCanvas for this project?
- How do I get my students interested in reading? Are there any digital tools that could accompany my literature lessons?
- Can you help me please? The talk throughout the building is that the Librarian is the person to see!
Murray, Janet. Librarians Evolving into Cybrarians in Multimedia Schools, [Website].: Information Today, Inc.: March/April 2000 [cited 30 January 2003]. Available from World Wide Web: <http://www.infotoday.com/MMSchools/mar00/murray.htm>. Accessed April 12, 2013
Church, Audrey, "The Instructional Role of the Library Media Specialist as Perceived by Elementary School Principals", American Library Association, August 27, 2008.
http://www.ala.org/aasl/aaslpubsandjournals/slmrb/slmrcontents/volume11/church Accessed April 15 2013
Manifesto for 21st Century Teacher Librarians
"● You seek professional development that will help you grow even if it is not offered by your school district. Even if you don’t get PD credit. You can’t “clock” these hours.
● You build your own personal/professional learning network using social networking tools
● You guide your teacher colleagues in setting up their own professional learning networks.
● You read both edtech journals and edtech blogs, not just the print literature of our own profession.
● You follow selected educators,experts, authors, etc. with microblogging apps like Twitter
● You use Twitter to mine realtime chat about your professional interests. You use hashtags like #tlchat and #edchat"
Valenza, Joyce Kasman, "Manifesto for 21st Century School Librarians", VOYA Magazine, EL Kurdyla Publishing, Teacher Librarian, October 2010, Web. http://www.teacherlibrarian.com/2011/05/01/manifesto-for-21st-century-teacher-librarians/ Accessed 25 March, 2013