The Weekly Highlander
A Message from the Principal
I want to take a moment to thank our students, staff, and community members who participated in the Flag Ceremony on Wednesday morning. The ceremony was a way to honor Veterans and all Americans who have served this country. The morning included the raising of the flag, playing of Taps, a song by our choir, and recognition of Veterans and active service personnel in attendance. On Veteran's Day, be sure to say "Thank You" to someone who has served.
Next week we have the 7th Grade Outsiders Dress Up Day on Tuesday, November 14th. We also have a General PTA meeting on Tuesday at 1 pm in person in the library or attend via Zoom. Wednesday at 5:30 pm our Mental Health Specials, Ms.Wongyai, will be presenting about devices and social media, and what you need to know to keep your student safe. The meeting will be virtual on Zoom and the link and more information is listed in this newsletter.
The final day to turn in items for Stockings for the Troops and the Food Drive will be Wednesday, November 15th. We are collecting canned foods for Thanksgiving with Operation Warm Wishes. Please see the flyer in this newsletter with specific donations for each grade level. All canned foods will be collected in your student's first-period class. We also are supporting Stockings for the Troops and collecting items to make our military feel remembered during the holidays. Please see the flyer in the newsletter for needed items that can be dropped off by your student at the school library.
Please stay connected to Hewes by checking our website and following us on Instagram @heweshighlanders for the latest information and news.
Sahra Tanikawa, Principal
HIGHLANDER for a Day!
The Hewes staff is recognizing HIGHLANDERS “H” FOR A DAY AWARD! Highlander for a Day is a program at Hewes Middle School that celebrates students for incredible moments in the areas of Respect, Responsibility, and Results. Congratulations to Rocky - grade 7
General PTA Meeting
Zoom Link - https://tustinusd-org.zoom.us/j/2303560088
Stockings for the Troops
The YMCA is our service provider fo our after school porgram and is seeking donations for their annual program Stockings for the Troops. Please consider donating needed items that will be sent to our troops overseas. The attached flyer lists the items that are needed and they can be dropped off at the library. Thank you for your support!
SUPPORTING HEWES MIDDLE SCHOOL
Intrepid escape room in Tustin has donated escape room visits to Hewes Middle School. We will be using these as student incentives and rewards. A HUGE Thank You to this business for their support and donation.
ALL Photos are DUE by December 8
Import Dates to Remember
- Friday, November 10 - Veteran's Day Holiday - NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, November 14 - 7th Grade Outsiders Dress Up Day
- Tuesday, November 14 - General PTA meeting at 1 pm in person and via Zoom
- Wednesday, November 15 - Breakfast Club 8:30 am
- Wednesday, November 15 - Parent Presentation - Social Media & Your Student @5:30 on Zoom
- Friday, November 17 - PTA Fun Friday at lunch
- Monday, November 20 - Friday, November 24 - Thanksgiving Recess - NO SCHOOL
- Monday, November 27 - School Resumes
- Wednesday, November 29 - Career Exploration - All Students During PE classes
- Wise Guys Restaurant Fundraiser - 11/26 - 11/30 school fundraiser
- Wednesday, December 13 - 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm HOLIDAY Bazaar
- Wednesday, December 13 - 7 pm - Holiday Concert - Choir and Band