The Who's News
Willett PTA Newsletter: Week of September 4, 2023
Important Upcoming Dates
9/4: No School (Labor Day)
9/5: Willett Chorus begins (before school)
9/7: Kona Ice at Willett (after school)
9/8: Willett Dessert & Movie Night (info below)
9/10: Willett Yearbook Pre-sale Deadline
9/12: 4th-6th Music Program Enrollment Deadline
9/19: Willett PTA Meeting, 6:15 & 7pm (Join PTA here!)
Subscribe to the Willett PTA Calendar HERE.
Note: Fall Conference Week (11/13-11/17) dismissal is at 12:10 pm this year, not 1:30 pm.
What's Happening at Willett?
Dessert & Family Movie Night THIS Friday!
All families are invited to the Willett Dessert & Movie Night THIS Friday, Sept. 8! The PTA will provide a tasty treat and time for socializing from 5:30-6:30pm. You can head home OR stay for the movie in the Willett MPR, starting at 6:30pm. Bring sleeping bags, blankets, and other items to get comfortable!
Thanks for Coming to Coffee!
Thank you to those who could stop by our first Coffee with the Principal on Friday! We learned about reporting absences, campus initiatives, English Learner resources, classroom placement, and more. Plan on joining us again on Friday, October 6 at 8:30 AM. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2023-24 Willett Yearbook and T-shirts/Sweatshirts
- Yearbook: Early Bird Pricing $29.50 before 9/10/23. Regular Price: $36. Early Bird yearbook purchase link will be emailed to you on September 20 if you pre-order.
- Willett Wear: Purchase Willett-themed t-shirts, sport tech t-shirts, and cozy sweatshirts for yourself or your student through our Willett Store. You can also join the PTA when purchasing 🙂
Active4.me Weekly Report
This week 107 students logged 377 trips covering 651 miles and saving 575 lbs. of CO2. We count many more bikes in the racks than we have bikers scanning in. Please encourage your student to scan in. If they’ve lost a bar code tag, we can replace it. If you’re new to Willett, and your student walks, bikes, uses a scooter, electric vehicle, or public transit, please consider signing up for Active4.me at: www.active4.me/Registration/willett. Paper forms are also available at the Active4.me table. We will issue your student a bar code tag when we receive the signed registration form. As always, we need volunteers. Please fill out this form if you can help scan between 8:20-8:30am, even once a week!
Willett Garden Update!
Here is a garden update from Garden Coordinators Chris & Julie Hartley:
- This summer, we harvested 2 gallons of snap peas, 5 gallons of tomatoes, 15 pounds of potatoes, 51 ears of popcorn, and watched as our tallest sunflowers cleared 12 feet! The pollinators were busy too, and the mini-jack pumpkins will be ready for Halloween and our Fall celebration.
- The garden was open during Back to School Night on August 23 and several kids assisted transplanting kale and planting radishes and carrots for our winter garden while their parents met with teachers.
- The third-grade teachers are preparing for afternoons in the garden and are looking for parent volunteers to assist. It is a good way to get kids into the garden and bring outdoor learning opportunities into the curriculum.
- This school year we will expand our garden activities and engage other grades as well. We’re adding some additional bed space along the old fire lane and increasing garden activities around campus.
- A big thank you to our teachers, the PTA, Davis Farm to School, ACE hardware, Gotham Greens and to all the parent volunteers that have helped our garden grow. If you would like to get involved – no matter what grade – please let us know!
Important PTA Business
Volunteer as a Room Parent
The Willett PTA supports one room parent from each classroom to help communicate PTA information to classroom families (e.g. forwarding emails) and to help during teacher appreciation events. Serving as a room parent is a wonderful way for busy parents to contribute to their child’s classroom. Please contact email@example.com if you’d like more information or you'd like to volunteer!
Other Helpful Links
SAVE THE DATE! October 3, 5:00 PM: Davis Parent University presents Dr. Lisa Damour virtually
Looking for tools to support your child’s mental health? Please join Davis Parent University (DPU) on Tuesday, October 3 for a webinar with Lisa Damour, PhD, acclaimed clinical psychologist and New York Times best-selling author of The Emotional Lives of Teenagers: Raising Connected, Capable, and Compassionate Adolescents.
Don’t let the title fool you, Dr. Damour’s latest book can be applied to parenting a child of any age! It is an urgently needed guide to help parents understand their children’s intense and often fraught emotional lives – and how to support and prepare them for the critical developmental stage of the teen years.
WHEN: Virtual Event, Tuesday, October 3, 5-6:30 PM PDT
International Parent Community at the I-House
Are you an international family? Be sure to check out how the International House of Davis (on the corner of College Park & Russell) seeks to support the International Parent Community HERE.
Support Willett While You Shop
Nugget Scrip (cards available at Nugget)
Farm Fresh to You Produce Boxes: Farm Fresh to You will give 10% back to Willett PTA if you enter the promo code WILLETTOWLS during checkout, or add it to your Account Summary if you (or someone you know) already receives a box. Sign up and browse options here.