An e-newsletter from Mounds View Public Schools
June 24, 2020
Considering the extraordinary circumstances related to COVID-19, safely reopening schools will be one of the District's primary goals for the 2020-21 school year. Planning for reopening remains underway.
As directed by the Minnesota Department of Education, District leaders continue to focus planning on three possible scenarios:
- A full return of students in all schools for in-person learning.
- A partial return of students in some schools with a hybrid approach of distance learning and in-person learning.
- No immediate return of any students and a continuation of distance learning.
By the week of July 27, the state plans to announce which of the scenarios will be in place for Minnesota public schools. Each of these scenarios requires unique planning, but the common approach to all is the belief that school will begin after Labor Day on September 8 as planned.
As promised last month, the District plans to solicit community feedback through a survey about spring distance learning and planning for fall 2020. Soon, parents and staff will be invited to take an online survey that will be extremely valuable to Mounds View Public Schools. In addition, the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) has created a survey. It’s important to note that while useful for the state, the MDE survey does not allow families to indicate a specific school district or the grade levels of their children -- information that is particularly helpful for Mounds View Public Schools. Stay tuned for your invitation to take the District’s survey.
Last week, the Minnesota Department of Health provided guidance to reduce the spread of COVID-19 among sports activities. This document is meant to support sports where participants are organized by entities, associations, clubs or organizations.
- Pod sizes for both indoor and outdoor activities are set at 25 students.
- Full-team practices for all sports may begin June 24.
- Inter-team games and scrimmages may resume for outdoor sports beginning June 24 and indoor sports beginning July 1.
Families can expect to receive email updates at key times throughout the summer as more guidance is available from the state and as decisions are finalized. In the absence of communication, please understand that planning is continuing and no decisions have been made. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and families can visit
moundsviewschools.org/reopening for updates throughout the summer.