GES Staff Update-Week of 12/14/15
End of 2015
It's unbelievable that this is our last week of school for 2015. This semester has absolutely flown by and it's been such a joy to watch our students grow, play and learn under your guidance. Additionally, it has been a pleasure getting to know each of you and its been an honor to watch you work your magic with our students each day. Every one of you plays a special role in educating & nurturing our GES Stars. I am humbled and blessed to work alongside you, changing students' lives. Thanks for your daily efforts, for sharing your gift of teaching with kids and the extra mile you will continue to go for our students. Most importantly, thank you for calling GES your home. I wish you and your loved ones a restful and joyous holiday full of smiles and laughter! I look forward to an amazing start to 2016 with you all...
*Please read over this entire newsletter as there is a lot going on all over campus this week and many things that we will need to tend to prior to our holidays!
Principal Walk Throughs
Sing Along Fun!
I also want to let you know that we will have two very special guests join our Sing Along. At the actual conclusion of our Sing Along, you will lead your students out and will sit them in lines in the hallway outside your classrooms. This will provide a special parade route for our guests and a neat opportunity for your students. Please remind your students to stay seated when these guests make their way through the halls. High fives and waves will be welcomed, but we will unfortunately not have time for hugs.
**Please note that we WILL be using Raptor for all of our guest and visitors. We are trying a new "Fast Pass" system to check in our visitors on Friday so be sure to read the Monday Message. I also need to reiterate that students will not be checked out early from your classrooms or party locations. Any student leaving before 11:45 will need to proceed to the front office and check out the typical way. We have many students with special family situations that we want to be mindful of at all times. The safety and security of all GES students and staff are of utmost importance and the holiday party cannot be an exception to our procedures and attendance policies. Please see Kim or me if you have any questions/concerns.
I am looking forward to sharing this special Sing Along time with our entire GES family! It is definitely a rare day when the entire student body and our staff can come together!
Hour of Code
A huge shout out goes to Nancy Hale for arranging special guests to speak to many of our classes as well! GES made the front page of the district website, so be sure to check out the way they've highlighted the many ways we participated in Hour of Code. I also appreciate the many tweets you sent to 'tell our story' on Twitter on Friday. We're doing a great job sharing our day to day experiences with our Twitter followers.
After your Hour of Code, many of you commented on finding new opportunities for your students to continue to use their skills on these apps. One great idea I heard was using it as a compliment chart incentive. How great would that be?! Thanks for your efforts and for allowing your students to experience such a great opportunity!
STAR Audience Expectations
- Team Leader Minutes from our 12/8 meeting can be found in Google drive~GES Faculty & Staff folder~Team Leader Minutes folder: https://drive.google.com/a/gcisd.net/folderview?id=0B90_DLAhTR6MX3dlNDJDcVB6WUU&usp=sharing
- Did you get the latest GCISD Lead with Technology Blog? It is full of great ideas and this week it highlights Read-Write-Think. Check it out! http://gcisdleadwithtechnology.blogspot.com/2015/12/throwback-thursday-read-write-think.html
- As a reminder, we will be completing an energy shutdown checklist for the holidays. These procedures need to be completed before you leave on 12/18. IF you aren't going to be on campus on 12/18, you need to complete yours before you leave on 12/17. I will have checklists on Monday and will place them in your mailboxes asap. This time ALL electronics, lamps, printers, etc...should be UNPLUGGED from the wall. Please take home all food items as we don't want to attract any extra critters over the break.
- Remember to please mark tardies when entering attendance in Skyward! Be sure to mark students tardy, whether they have a slip or not.
- All student and teacher iPads can now be updated to iOS 9. Many of the glitches that you might be experiencing with Google Drive, Google Classroom, or various apps will be corrected with the update. It is recommended to do a few iPads at a time, rather than the whole class at once. Students who take home can do the update as a homework assignment.
Please remember to enter all student data into DMAC by Friday, December 18. This includes RtI and unit math assessments.
Monday, 12/14 Choir (2:45-3:45pm) & GRACE Christmas Cottage items due (unwrapped)
Tuesday, 12/15 Geography Bee (8:15am)
Thursday, 12/17 PTA's Cookies & Cocoa in the Learning Commons (2:45pm) & Choir (2:45-3:45pm)
Friday, 12/18 School-wide Sing Along at 9:30am (Kids in PJs & Staff as Elves!!)
Friday, 12/18 ALL unclaimed Lost & Found items will be donated to GRACE
Friday, 12/18 Holiday parties at 10:45am & Early dismissal at 11:45am
Monday, 12/21/15-Friday 1/1/16 Winter Holidays
Monday, 1/4 Teacher Work day
Tuesday, 1/5 Welcome students back with free jeans day! (exchange day for 12/9)
Tuesday, 1/5 Faculty meeting
Wednesday, 1/6 Report Cards are posted to Skyward & Google Drive
Wednesday, 1/6 Running Club (2:45-3:30pm)
Thursday, 1/7 Choir (2:45-3:45pm)
Where We Will Be...
- Monday, 12/14 - Nancy out at Liaison/Coaches meeting
- Thursday, 12/17 - Heather out 11:00am-1:00pm
- Monday, 1/4 - Gina & Heather will be out all day
- Tuesday, 1/5 - Josh at Technology meeting
- Wednesday, 1/6 - Liz at principal's meeting
Monday Message to Parents
Please be sure to check out the following important information:
- Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR)
- Fast Passes for simplified party day check-in
- Lost & Found will be donated on 12/18
Disclaimer: IT WILL BE A WORK IN PROGRESS UNTIL LATE SUNDAY NIGHT!
Forth Worth Zoo Run
The following message was shared with parents last week...but has implications for us as a staff, too! Are you interested in learning more about LEAD 2021, GCISD's long range plan? You should subscribe to the new LEAD GCISD podcast at: https://goo.gl/z3rdsp It's a new way for GCISD to communicate information and successes with the community. A new podcast will be released every Tuesday until Christmas break.
- Lesson plans, or links to your plans, should be saved to our Google drive folder in the GES Faculty and Staff folder:http://bit.ly/1LqQ4sg
- Newsletters, or links to newsletters, should be saved to the Google drive folder in GES Faculty and Staff: http://bit.ly/1MAJbWP