Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Heartfelt Thanks & Shout Outs
Thank you so much Jeanine Brown and Gretchen Lenart for your help in class this week! It is sincerely appreciated! Both Arda A. and Ahana I. have reached multiple million word milestones during recent weeks! Keep up the fantastic reading, kids!
Pioneer Day Parent Meeting on Monday Evening!
Smarter Balanced Testing during weeks of April 18th and April 25th
- Smarter Balanced Testing: English Language Arts will be during the week of April 18th. Testing is scheduled Monday-Friday from 8:30 to 11:00 a.m.
- Smarter Balanced Testing: Math with be during the week of April 25th. Testing is scheduled Monday-Friday from 8:30 to 11:00 a.m.
The International Festival is from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 16th on the Del Paso campus. Don't miss out on this terrific WCS tradition!
Many thanks to Casey Avalos for coordinating the fourth grade raffle basket. You can sign up to donate items for the basket at this link. Please send items to my classroom for the basket so that Casey can pick them up.
Do you need parent hours or just want to help make the International Festival a terrific event for our students and families? Please click here to see how you can help.
Scholastic Book Fair
- Sat, 4/16/16 (During International Festival): 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Tues, 4/19/16: 2:45 pm - 4:00 pm
- Weds, 4/20/16: 12:45pm - 5:00pm
English Language Arts
- Students will be working on vocabulary relating to our geometry unit using Quizlet. Here they have the chance to study from online flash cards and play games to help them learn these terms. This vocabulary list will be tested on Friday, April 15th.
- Students will be working on Spelling City List #21 next week. Students should complete all activities by that Friday in preparation for the spelling test that will be given that day in class.
- We are continuing on with Literature Circles next week. Students are responsible for coming to discussion meetings on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays having completed the reading and have three questions prepared.
- We will be reviewing how to find the theme of a story or poem while discussing effective responses to literary prompts (like those commonly found during S-BAC testing).
- We will be using multiple sources to synthesize information and answer comprehension questions.
- Students will on first person narratives this week. This assignment will be posted on Google Classroom. Drafts are due on Friday, April 15th.
- We are now entering our Geometry Unit. IXL Strands that coordinate with our study include: P.19, P.21, P.22, P.25, P.30, P.31, P.13, P.14, P.15, P.16, P.2, P.3 and P.4.
- Math Facts will be tested on Friday, April 29th.
Soon students will begin a simulation of pioneers' journey west! They will learn about many of the challenges faced by those who ventured to California.
Check out Ms. Jackson's website to see what's currently happening in art.
- April 11 at 5:30 a.m. in Mrs. Chastain's Classroom: Parent Meeting for Pioneer Day!
- April 16: International Festival
- Week of April 18th: Smarter Balance Testing window for ELA
- Week of April 25th: Smarter Balance Testing window for Math
- April 29: Math Facts Tested
- May 3: Mid-Trimester AR Goal Check
- May 25: Open House
- May 30: Memorial Day, No School!
- June 15: Last Day of School