VO News You Can Use
Dr. O's Weekly Parent Newsletter
NCSD Mission Statement
Developing each student's potential with a world class education.
December 2, 2019
Dear Village Oaks Families,
Welcome back! I hope you all enjoyed our Thanksgiving holiday with your loved ones. Our staff is well rested and ready for another great week of school. We thank all of the parents who donated Chapstick & LipSmackers before our break for our Bridgepoint Community Service Project. We are still accepting donations until Wednesday, December 4th. We appreciate everyone’s generosity; the donations will be put to great use and fill the gift bags of students in the Academy of Americas school in Detroit!
As a reminder, there is no school for students on Friday, December 6th due to our Records Day.
The ‘Mo’ Bros...
‘Mustache’ you to remember that November is Men’s Health Month. Members of the VO staff grew their facial hair out in order to promote awareness for men’s health issues. Let’s work together to keep men in our VO community happy and healthy!
VO Science Olympiad
Village Oaks Elementary School is planning to participate in Science Olympiad. The main tournament will take place on 6/6/2020 at Schoolcraft College, Livonia, MI. An Introductory meeting happened on Thursday November 21th, 2019 at 6.30 p.m. in our Media Center.
A few important notes:
1. This event is for 3rd and 4th graders only. We will have two separate teams for 3rd grade and 4th grade, with maximum 16 students from each grade.
2. There are a total of 16 events and participation in all events is mandatory for each team. Each event will have 2 participants, meaning each team will have 32 student slots.These 32 slots for each team can be filled by a maximum of 16 students, with each student participating in 2 events. Each team will have up to 16 students. If there are less than 16 students on a team, one can participate in more than 2 events.
3. So far we’ve received confirmation from 13 students from 4th grade and 11 students from 3rd grade, meaning, there are 3 vacant slots for 4th grade and 5 vacant slots for 3rd grade. These 8 slots will be filled on a first come first serve basis. Please confirm your participation through email to email@example.com
4. Team formation will be done by the end of next week once all entries are in.There will be a meeting next month between all participating kids and their parents.
5. One parent of each participating student will be either a 4th grade or 3rd grade coach for each individual event. Any parent who has past coaching experience with Science Olympiad events are more than welcome to guide others. Coaching sessions will start the second week of January and go through May, depending on event needs.
Volunteer contact: Ural Kota (248.979.8863)/firstname.lastname@example.org
Link to WOSO website: http://wayneoaklandso.weebly.com/
- Our students will continue to enjoy outdoor recess while the temperature is above 0 degrees. Please send them in a coat, hat, gloves/mittens, boots and snow pants on snowy days. If they wear boots to school, please send shoes they can wear all day. Items should be labeled with their name.
- Ask your child's teacher if you are unsure or need suggestions of what to send. If you are unable to provide a snack for your child, please contact Dr. Ofili.
- If your child has outgrown sweatpants or stretch pants, we can use them! Please drop them off in the office. Thank you!
NCSD Lice Information
As school is now in session, it is important to remember the guidelines for avoiding head lice. It has been found in classrooms already this year so please be vigilant in looking for it and treating it effectively. The website below has very helpful information.
At VO, we have HEART!
In Novi Community School District we believe in promoting high expectations for academics, meeting the emotional well being of our students and celebrating positive behavior for all of our learners.
At Village Oaks Elementary, we are building a culture of collaboration, leadership, and citizenship. As a school community, we strive to:
- Have a growth mindset
- Empathize and show kindness
- Act responsibly
- Respect everyone
- Team up and collaborate with others
Last week's Diversity Day was a huge success! Students were able to share with their classmates what makes them special, which included: family celebrations, vacations, traditions, special dances, sports, cultural dresses/outfits, etc. Students presented in their classrooms, enjoy the images from the event below.
Volunteer and Donation Opportunities
Our VOICE (PTO Organization) is seeking volunteers for chairpersons for several of our committees. If you have interest in volunteering with VOICE during this school year, please check out the Sign Up Genius link below. If you'd like more information, please contact Debbie Luke at email@example.com
Yearbook Committee Seeking Photos
Do you have some great photos you would love to see in the yearbook?
Please submit them to the Yearbook Committee e-mail: VOYearbookPTO@gmail.com
Be sure to include a description of the event/activity in the photo, as well as the class if appropriate.
Save the date for Spring Fling! April, 24, 2020
We need many volunteers for this event to be successful. If you have any questions about a committee position please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please consider volunteering by using the link below to sign up.
One of the things that makes our building so special is our diverse student population--we have families in our community who come from all over the world! To celebrate our global diversity we have hung flags in our cafeteria that represent many of the countries of our VO families. As a gift from VO retirees we were given flags of the following countries: Israel, India, United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Nigeria, South Korea, China, and USA. Thank you to our parents who have also donated the following flags: Poland, Singapore, Japan, Germany, Finland, Ireland, Nepal, Greece, Pakistan, Uruguay, Ecuador, Portugal, Spain, Central African Republic, South Africa, Wales, Iceland, Australia, Armenia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Russia, Scotland and Yemen. If you would like to purchase a flag of your country of origin or to represent one of the many nationalities of our school please visit Amazon and search for an ANLEY 3x5 flag: VO Flags
Before purchasing and donating the flag to our school’s collection please contact me or one of our secretaries with the flag information so we can make sure that another family has not already ordered the same flag.
This year NCSD elementary schools will partner with Playworks to enhance the learning experiences for students throughout the district. Playworks is the leading nonprofit in Michigan and nationally using play to transform schools. A Playworks recess creates a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Please click on the link below and read the attached Playworks article to learn more about our partnership and Patrice our Playworks Coach!
12/2/19--Beginning of second trimester
12/3/19--First Grade Concert 6:30pm
12/5/19--Title One Family Math Night 5:30pm
12/6/19-- Records Day No School
12/9/19--Report cards viewable in MiStar
12/23/19--Winter Break No School
1/13/20--VOICE Mtg 7:00pm
1/20/20--MLK Day No School
Parent Pick-up/Parking & Bus Stop Expectations
As you pick-up and drop off your children please be mindful of the following:
- Do not park in front of our neighbors' driveways or mailboxes.
- Park in our parking lot and keep your pet in your car.
- For the safety of our students do not walk your children through our bus loop as students are loading/exiting our busses.
- Stay in your car as you drive through our car loop.
- Please do not drop off children before 8:55am. We do not have any supervision outside prior to this time.
- If you arrive late, please walk your child into the office and sign them in.
We ask that you remind your children that VO expectations/rules apply at our bus stops. We expect all of our students to be on their best behavior as they wait for their bus and we appreciate your help.
Thank you for your support!
Please remember if there is a change in your child's CARE schedule you need to notify Holly Bengle no later than 3:15. She will then contact the teachers. Holly Bengle can be reached at
email@example.com or (248) 449-1307.
VO 2018 National Blue Ribbon Exemplary School
Village Oaks Elementary
VO school hours: 9:08 am-4:00 pm
Office hours: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Attendance line: 248.449.1301
Office phone number: 248.449.1300