Foothill MS Community Memo
March 19, 2021
Based on the work previously submitted when we were awarded the CA Distinguished School Award in 2019 our indicators on the CA Dashboard have continually improved. Thanks to staff, students & families we have been awarded this distinction for 2021!
Good evening. There are many exciting things you will find within this newsletter, including reminders, opportunities, as well as a friendly reminder of how important it is that we bring the human factor back to our society. There are reports and incidents throughout the world of how people are mistreating one another because of their race, religion, gender. Unfortunately this is especially true right now with our families of Asian descent, in our own neighborhoods. Our very own Principal Cooper at Northgate has shared a powerful letter with resources. Please take the time to check it out. As well as remembering to encourage our children to care for one another. Our community continually demonstrates how caring they are for one another with actions--donating food, time, energy, and more.
On to more Positive news!! Our MDUSD School Board voted and approved the Reopening Plan! What does that mean?
- All students will engage in daily live interaction with their current teacher during the distance learning instructional block on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. This begins every day at 8:30 am.
- All students (Distance Learning and Hybrid) will receive daily live interaction daily participation and progress monitoring on Wednesdays--in their Advisory period. This also starts at 8:30 am.
- Distance Learning Students will receive Virtual Learning Support from a Distance Learning Educator and Hybrid Students will receive In-Person Learning Support from a Hybrid Educator. Virtual
- Learning Support is teacher-directed time which may include, but is not limited to, providing small group support, intervention support, tutoring, adult-student check in/connection time, independent credit recovery activities, and follow-up with targeted students from morning instruction.
- Both Distance Learning Students and In-Person Learning Students will be assigned a group (Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday).
Changes are going to start next week! Today, you should have received an email through ParentSquare making sure we have the correct choice for your child for finishing this school year. ALL students will continue their Distance Learning with their current teachers every day, beginning at 8:30 in the morning. What we need to formalize for you is whether your child will remain distance in the "DISTANCE LEARNING SUPPORT" group (details below on this group). OR if they will be placed in a group to come on campus for two hours a day, for two days to participate "IN-PERSON LEARNING SUPPORT" group. We will have to create schedules for this afternoon time therefore you must let me know if you are changing your preference by this Sunday night, March 21st.
With all that in mind the next four weeks have many changes which you will find below. Times, schedules, and more. I have provided PDF's of each image so you can print and reference each week. These will also be on our homepage.
Next week I will message out the Reopening Plan booklet, the Community Compact agreement that will need to be signed by all In-Person Learning students returning to campus, AND the Daily Health Screening (digital form) that will be completed each day your student comes to campus.
Enjoy the first weekend of Spring and the promise of our next chapter in this school year.
It is sincere privilege serving the Foothill Community.
IN-PERSON SUPPORT GROUP
For the in-person option the first priority is to place students with their teachers. However, since 40% of the students are staying distance and must be assigned a teacher to check-in with during the afternoon there will be teachers unavailable on campus to those in-person. The primary focus will then be to match the subject area if possible with another teacher.
What happens during this time?
Teachers are developing a variety of activities that will focus on enriching the class content, projects that they were unable to do online that extend learning, as well as being able to answer or support the content. PE teachers are going to get kids active and having fun outdoors, and other teachers are exploring being outdoors since students have been trapped indoors with their Zoom or Google Meets. An example might be our art teacher doing sketching outside; science teachers are looking at gardening, environmental activities, and more.
For the in-person option the first priority is to place students with their teachers. However, since 40% of the students are staying distance and must be assigned a teacher to check-in with during the afternoon there will be teachers unavailable on campus to those in person. The primary focus will be to match the subject area if possible with another teacher.
DISTANCE: VIRTUAL LEARNING SUPPORT GROUP
Virtual Learning Support is teacher-directed time which may include, but is not limited to, providing small group support, intervention support, tutoring, adult-student check in/connection time, independent credit recovery activities, and follow-up with targeted students from morning instruction.
Distance students will be assigned to a teacher, for daily check-ins. They will also be divided into group A (Monday/Tuesday) or group B(Thursday/Friday) for their check-ins.
Virtual Tours of the Campus
The first one was this morning and quite fun! If you are interested in "walking" the campus I am doing it virtually, continuing next week. If you are unable to attend I will record one adventure and post it on our website.
Monday, March 22 at 3 pm:
- Join Zoom Meeting OR
- Meeting ID: 849 9227 9520; Passcode: 106003
Monday, March 22 at 4 pm:
- Join Zoom Meeting OR
- Meeting ID: 861 5065 7774; Passcode: 190916
Schedule 3-22 through 3-26 to prepare for In-person Learning Support
"Proposed" STUDENT BELL SCHEDULE MARCH 29 THROUGH APRIL 2
SPRING BREAK APRIL 2 THROUGH APRIL 11
Student Bell Schedule for the remainder of the school year, beginning April 12.
There are links and resources on: Personal Safety, Social Emotional Tools, Mindful Tools, Cyber Safety, Counseling Tips, and Smoking and Vaping 101
REPOST: MDUSD Monthly Mental Health Webinars
- 03/30/2021 - Recognizing When To Get Help Beyond The Home
- 04/20/2021 - Anxiety And Depression
- 05/11/2021 - Parents Of Teens And Tweens- How To Facilitate Independence When They Can't Leave The House
- 06/01/2021 - Parents Of Elementary Age- What Skills Can We Increase During Distance Learning
- 06/22/2021 - Finding Community Supports And Summer Activities
Webinar Zoom/registration information will be posted here close to session dates.
Be informed by our MDUSD CBO
In case you haven't seen them yet, our Chief Business Officer answers parent/staff/community questions in a weekly "Ask the CBO" series. Last week's topic covers Multi Year Projections and shows the community how to read a one page budget.
Many of you have asked how the CARES Act funds were spent, and the MDUSD website has that information in English and Spanish. If there is a topic you would like covered, please send the suggestion to email@example.com