Huskies in the Know
November 5 - 9
Important Dates to Know
- MISD Colors for Caring Day - Monday, November 5
- Extended Library Hours for Students and Parents - Monday, November 5; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
- STEM Academy Information Night (5th Grade Parents Only) - Monday, November 5; 6:00 PM, and the Jerry Knight STEM Academy at Wester
- Report Card Grades Posted in Skyward - Thursday, November 8
- PTA General Meeting - Thursday, November 8; 7:00 PM in the Library
- Veteran's Day Breakfast - Friday, November 9; 8:00 AM in the Library
- Dog Dollar Store - Friday, November 9
- Extended Library Hours for Students and Parents - Monday, November 12; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
- STEM Academy Information Night (5th Grade Parents Only) - Monday, November 12; 6:00 PM, and the Jerry Knight STEM Academy at Wester
- STEM Academy Information Night (5th Grade Parents Only) - Thursday, November 15; 6:00 PM, and the Jerry Knight STEM Academy at Wester
- Thanksgiving Holiday Break (no school) - November 19-23
- Extended Library Hours for Students and Parents - Monday, November 26; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
- STEM Academy Information Night (5th Grade Parents Only) - Thursday, November 29; 6:00 PM, and the Jerry Knight STEM Academy at Wester
Colors for Caring Day - Monday, November 5th
Participate in Colors for Caring Day on November 5th.
On the first Monday of each month in the 2018-19 school year, Mansfield ISD encourages the community to wear a color that represents a cancer that affected the life of a loved one. (View a cancer color chart hereOpens a New Window..)
We look forward to everyone’s participation! All #ColorsforCaring photos will be added to the district’s photo gallery.
Veteran's Day Breakfast
Muffins, coffee and hot chocolate will be served in the Library on Friday, November 9, at 8:00AM.
Mental Mondays During Husky Time
The first Monday of each month is designated as Mental Mondays during Husky Time. On these Mondays, the teachers will focus on certain topics such as leadership, acceptance, being grateful, etc.
This Monday, the topic is "What are You Grateful for?" Part of our Capturing Kids' Hearts process is to show the power of affirming others. This activity on being grateful and saying thank you will help the students put down on paper the things they are grateful for and give them an opportunity to write at least 2 Thankful Cards to express their gratitude to others.
- Students will watch a video about the power of being grateful and saying thank you to those they are grateful for in their lives. Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=256&v=U5lZBjWDR_c
- Students will do an activity to write down people, places and things they are grateful for.
- Students will write a Thankful Card to 2 people on their list who they are thankful for and why. They can be thanking a person for giving them something on their list of things they are thankful for and/or for a place they have visited because of them, and/or for whatever reason.
Please ask your child to share who they wrote their thankful cards to and why!
Chick-fil-a Spirit Night....WOW and Thank You!!!
Please see correspondence below from the Manager of School Programs at the Chick-fil-a on Camp Wisdom! We brought in over $2,000, and school will receive $454.55 to spend on books to put in the hands of our students! She was amazed at the turnout, so thank you to everyone who ate dinner (or snack) on Thursday!
We have the BEST community EVER!! It's a GREAT Day to be a Husky!
Della Icenhower has an amazing group of students and families as well as an outstanding staff! You guys brought in $2,272.76 in net sales, which means at 20% your donation comes to $454.55.
That is the biggest spirit night we've had in the 4 years I've worked at our Camp Wisdom & 360 location, so HUGE kudos and congratulations to you and the entire group for coming together. Thank you again so much for inviting us to be a part of the Husky family, and we look forward to working with you again soon!
Manager of School Programs
Chick-fil-A Camp Wisdom & 360
Chick-fil-A South Cooper Street
Report Card Grades Posted in Skyward this Thursday
- In an effort to "Go Green", we will not print Report Cards each grading period. Grades are always current and live in Skyward, and we will send notifications of when the Report Card Grades are final each grading period.
- Report Card Grades for the 2nd grading period will be posted in Skyward on Thursday, November 8.
- Your child's report card grades for this grading period will be recorded in his/her planner. Please sign the planner verifying you acknowledged your child's report card grades.
- At any time, you can always contact your child's teacher(s) if you have questions or concerns about your child's grades.
Extended Library Hours on Mondays for Students and Parents
As a part of our Book Initiative to get more books in the hands of our students and/or to make books more accessible, the Icenhower Library will have Extended Library Hours one day a week for our students and their parents to come check out books, to read and/or to and use the resources in the Library.
Students MUST be accompanied by an adult during these extended hours. If a student arrives without an adult, then the student will not be allowed to stay.
Upcoming Dates and Hours:
- Monday, November 5; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
- Monday, November 12; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
- Monday, November 26; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
- Monday, December 10; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
- Monday, December 17; 4:30-6:00 in the Library (**Time Change)
- Monday, January 21; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
- Monday, January 28; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
- Monday, February 4; 4:45-6:15 in the Library
Future dates TBD
PTA General Meeting
Attention 5th Grade Parents - STEM Academy Information
If you would like to learn more about the application process for the Jerry Knight STEM Academy please attend one of the following information sessions. It is beneficial to bring your 5th grader to the session. All sessions will be held at the Jerry Knight STEM Academy - 1524 N Walnut Creek Drive, Mansfield Texas.
Session 1 – Saturday 11/3/18 10:00 am
Session 2 – Monday 11/5/18 6:00 pm
Session 3 – Monday 11/12/18 6:00 pm
Session 4 – Thursday 11/15/18 6:00 pm
Session 5 – Thursday 11/29/18 6:00 pm
The application window for the 2019-2020 school year will open December 3, 2018 and closes January 11, 2019. It is important that you attend one of the above sessions prior to applying. For more information about JKSA please visit www.mansfieldisd.org/STEMAcademy
Victoria Webster, M.Ed.
Jerry Knight STEM Academy
School-Wide Reading Initiative!
Icenhower will be embarking on a School-Wide Reading Initiative where all student will be required to read a certain amount of books from several genres for the school year (more to come on this exciting adventure)!
Our teachers are building their classroom libraries to give students a wide variety of books to choose from, and any books you no longer use would be greatly appreciated!
You can drop off your donated books in either the front office or give them to your child's Language Arts teacher!
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Please follow the arrival and dismissal procedures. Parent drop off and pick up is in the FRONT this year, and these procedures MUST be followed to ensure the safety of our students and staff. Everything will go much smoother if everyone follows the correct procedures! Dropping your child off on Collins and/or in the drive to the front is NOT safe!!!!
Students arriving prior to 8:00am are outside and unsupervised until 8:00am. At 8:00am, students enter the building and report to the gym or to the cafeteria for breakfast. The tardy bell rings at 8:30. Students not in class at this time will report to the office and sign-in as “tardy to school.”
Friendly Reminder about Students Arriving Before 8:00 AM
Several students are arriving VERY early each morning, and they are causing disruptions in front of the school. They are bringing outside balls and play equipment that is NOT allowed.
Icenhower staff begins their duty day at 8:00 AM. Students who are dropped off before 8:00 AM will not be supervised.
The school day ends at 4:00 PM. Please make sure your student is picked up in a timely manner.
No Messages Will be Delivered After 3:00 PM
We understand that emergency situations can come up, and those will be handled accordingly.
TOGO Trust Cards
This year, we are creating a culture of trust, respect and responsibility.
Hopefully your child came home last week and showed you his/her TOGO Card. We are still working on temporaries for the students who have not taken their picture yet, but for the most part, every student should have their TOGO Card and a lanyard to be worn each day. It is the responsibility of the students to remember their TOGO Cards each day.
TOGO Cards are designed to be a cooperative behavior management tool between your child and staff. TOGO Card behavior management involves Icenhower staff trusting our students to make the right choices during the school day. With that trust, campus-wide along with classroom and team privileges are given (see sheet below). Once a student has broken the trust bond with a staff member, several things must happen in order to rebuild that bond.
MISD Volunteer Application for the 18-19 School Year!!
Anyone wishing to volunteer and/or attend events at Icenhower must complete the Volunteer Application for the 2018-2019 school year. This includes field trips, class parties, PTA Socials and Field Day.
Parents that have more than one student at multiple campuses, only need to complete one application.
Please use the link below to fill out the application! It takes just a few minutes, and you MUST be on the approved list if you would like to attend any events listed above.
College and Career Wednesdays
How to Stay In the Know!
- Remind 101- text @ek7gga to 81010
- Follow Icenhower Intermediate on Twitter @huskyproud
- Like us on Facebook at Icenhower Intermediate
- Visit our website at https://www.mansfieldisd.org/page.cfm?p=3182
- Follow us on Instagram @huskyproud
- Weekly Newsletter
- Skyward Email Blasts
- Communication with the teachers
Icenhower Remind 101
Icenhower - The Greatest Show!
Icenhower - The GREATEST SHOW!
Our theme this year revolves around the movie, The Greatest Showman, which is anyone, no matter their background, can rise up and find success if only they combine enough imagination, determination, and grit.
This is ME!
Our theme for this year is This is ME - creating a culture of kindness, diversity and acceptance of who we are as individuals and acceptance of others.
Icenhower - The GREATEST SHOW!
This is ME!
"But I won’t let them break me down to dust
I know that there’s a place for us (…)
When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I’m gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I’m meant to be, this is me!"