4J Parent News
October 2022, vol. 2
In this message:
• Schedule Changes: Middle & high school schedules are under review
• Volunteer Update: Added resources have significantly reduced processing time
• Edison Grand Opening: Come see the new Edison Elementary School building on Oct. 25
• Board Reps: Seeking high school students to serve on 4J school board. Apply by Oct. 25
• Principal Praise: Recognize a 4J administrator during October's National Principals Month
• Employee Spotlight: Meet Patty, food services coordinator at Kelly Middle & YG schools
• Work With 4J: Serve local youth and the community—apply for a 4J job today!
School Schedule Changes Coming for Grades 6–12
Eugene School District 4J has convened a team of teachers, licensed specialists and district leaders to review new schedule options for middle and high schools to better serve all middle and high school students, families and staff.
The team is reviewing various schedule options for the 2023–24 school year through a process that considers identified priorities. On an accelerated timeline, the team will evaluate schedule options and make recommendations to district leadership at the end of November.
“The district’s priority is to implement a schedule that maximizes opportunities for all students’ academic needs, social-emotional growth and connections to peers, while providing the time needed for our valued educators to prep and collaborate so they can teach at the highest level,” shared Superintendent Dey.
To guide its recommendations, the team has identified the following priorities that will be used to weigh the proposed options under its review:
- Prioritizing access and opportunities for students receiving support services, such as through an IEP, 504 plan, or ELL;
- Providing flexibility for students so that they are allowed time to access affinity groups, enrichments, extensions and interventions;
- Increasing opportunities for collaboration amongst staff so that students receive the highest quality services;
- Optimizing class sizes where possible;
- Promoting positive relationships for students and staff;
- Meeting the minimum instructional hours required under state law
The team so far has decided to recommend a switch to semesters for middle and high schools from the current trimester schedule. Elementary schools in the district already are on a semester schedule.
Volunteers make the impossible possible. As we come out of the pandemic, we are thrilled to welcome more volunteers back into schools.
However, our community's overwhelming response led to an unfortunate backlog of more than a thousand volunteer applications. We apologize for the delay. The district recently hired new temporary staff and refocused others to process volunteer applications, and we are now down to the last few hundred.
We very much appreciate your patience and thank you for investing your time in our schools. We simply could not do what we do without the essential support of volunteers.
Celebrate the New Edison Elementary School Building on October 25
We can’t thank you enough, but we can thank you again! Please join us to celebrate the grand opening of the new Edison Elementary School building.
5:45 Ribbon-cutting ceremony
6 & 6:30 p.m. Architect-led tours
Community members can drop in to take an architect-led or self-guided tour of the school and explore its innovative indoor and outdoor learning spaces. We can't wait to see you there!
4J School Board Seeks Student Reps • Apply by Oct. 25
The 4J school board believes that hearing from students is a critical component to quality decision-making as they lead and set the direction for the school district. To gain that perspective, the board is seeking student representatives to serve on the school board.
All 4J high school students are eligible to apply. Applications due Tuesday, Oct. 25.
Thank a Principal!
October is National Principals Month. Let's give a shout-out to 4J's incredibly dedicated, hard-working and caring team of principals and assistant principals. Please take a moment to recognize a principal or assistant who has made an impact on you, your student or your family. Fill out the online form to create a certificate of appreciation that we will deliver to them.
⭐ Meet Patty⭐
Food Service Coordinator at Kelly Middle & Yujin Gakuen schools
"Working for 4J in Nutrition Services for the past 34 years has taught me a lot about food and how important it is for our students to have a balanced diet. Seeing how excited they are to have choices and food they like makes my day complete."
Join The Team, Apply for 4J Jobs
Educational Assistants • Evening Custodians • School Psychologists • Administrative Assistant • Elementary Teachers • Special Ed Teacher • Mechanic • HR Generalists • Department Secretary • Food Service • Technology Support Specialist • Assistant Wrestling & Girls Basketball Coaches • Groundskeeper • Electrician • Equipment Operator • Plumber • and more!