THE AMERICAN DREAM
EVENTS, PEOPLE, MOVEMENTS, IDEAS, NORMS AND PERCEPTIONS
AMERICAN DREAM AND THE HISTORICAL CONTEXT
QUOTES FROM DEWEY DAVID BURTON
"I realized that with the prices going up the way they were, I was just getting further behind all the time, ... I wouldn't see my boy for days and then I'd be so dead on the day off- when I got one-that it wouldn't be any fun for him anyway..."
"... so I decided one day to stop dreaming and just concentrate on today. I work just as hard now, but I'm relaxed."
- Neither time period was focused on material things, both want to gain social hierarchy.
- In 1974, the economy was down because of the high inflation. Today, our economy still isn't at its height.
- In 1974, many wanted to simply be recognized.
- The 1974s consisted of gender stereotyping that only permitted one gender to work.
- Today, freedom and equal opportunity are on the minds of all.
- In present times, both spouses work, so obtaining the dream is more feasible and less likely to be given up.