The Principal's Pen
East Coventry Elementary School
This week, you will see an increase in the opportunities that your child' has to meet in small groups with his or her teacher. The schedules for small group instruction will be included on your child's checklists. Also, as we get to know more about the Accelerate Learning platform, our teachers will be making adjustments to the lessons and activities.
I encourage all families to join the upcoming school board discussions about their re-entry plan to begin bringing students back into the buildings when it is deemed safe. A list of upcoming board meetings can be found on the OJRSD website.
OJRSD Calendar Reminder
For the full OJRSD 2020-21 school calendar, please click here.
School Supply Pick-up - Grades 4 and 5
Grades 4 and 5: Families of CYBER AND BLENDED EC students in grades 4 and 5 should plan on coming to school Wednesday, September 23rd between 2-7PM to pick -up their school supplies.
The pick-up is self-service in the gym. Parents pull around the rear of the school and enter through the gym doors. The student materials will be organized by grade, teacher and student name.
In the meantime, your child's teacher will communicate how your child can access the Accelerate materials that are available on-line.
Parent Virtual Learning Sessions - Grades K-3
Thursday, September 24th
Grades K and 1: 5-5:30PM
Grades 2 and 3: 5:30-6PM
A link will be sent on Thursday prior to the information sessions. Grades 4-6 will have a similar opportunity the week of September 28th.
My Child Completed their Accelerate Workbook Pages. Now what?
Online Assessments Begin This Week
Here are some suggestions to help support your children as they complete their assessments online:
- Encourage them to simply do their best. If they have a question, encourage them to ask their teacher
- Unless otherwise instructed to do so, they should not use a calculator or ask a cloud-based voice service like Alexa for assistance.
Thank you for your assistance.
An online learning environment presents unique opportunities and challenges for both families and teachers. One of those challenges is to remember that there is a certain etiquette that is expected. We ask that all families review and follow the guidelines below:
- Please be sure that all family members visible on screen are properly dressed. Students should not be wearing pajamas or other clothing that would not be appropriate for school.
- It is important to remember that children are watching and listening. Appropriate language of household members is expected as other young children may be able to hear the background conversations.
- Under no circumstances is it ok to record, post or share a video or picture of a teacher or other children while online.
For other information about Digital Teaching and Learning, please check out the Handbook:
Thank you to everyone's assistance in helping to making the children's online experience safe.
Start With Hello Week - Week of September 20th
At EC, we will incorporating several activities related to Start With Hello this week.
DATES FOR THE 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR
- Week of September 20th: Start With Hello Week
- September 23rd 2-7PM: Grades 4 and 5: Student material pickup (Cyber and Blended Students)
- September 28th: No School for Staff or Students
- October 13th: @7:PM: ECPTA Meeting
- October 27th and 29th: Picture days for Blended and Cyber Students