Multi-Cultural Inquiry Assignment
By: Allie Baudhuin
*In my words, culture is a how a person/group lives; the beliefs they use to live; standards set to help express themselves; are ways of showing religious beliefs or respect etc.*Definition: The quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, and etc.
What goes into and makes up a Culture?
ex: Family, Friends, Religious groups, Social classes, Occupation, and Interest groups
Customs and Traditions: Rules of Behavior (written and unwritten)
ex: In China, people bow to one another to show respect.
Arts and Literature: Teaches about culture's values; promotes cultural pride and unity.
ex: Statue of Liberty represents freedom in America
Form of Government: People form a governments to provide for their common needs
ex: Democracy, Republic, Dictatorship
Language: Important for communication and passing on traditions and beliefs
ex: English, Spanish, Chinese, etc.
Religion: A religious belief that is lived by through the people
ex: Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.
Economic System: A system of production and exchange of goods and services as well as allocation of resources in a society.
ex: Traditional, Market, Command, Mixed, etc.
What are examples of enduring questions and conflicts that cultures have struggled with in the past that remain relevant today?
- People's rights: Freedom of Speech can allow for riots to start up against something that they believe
- Equality between gender: Men being paid more than women for the same job
- Job Opportunities
- Wars over Religious Beliefs: Including Protection
Culture Research: Italian
List of 4 Physical Characteristics
2. Brown (rarely blue) eyes
3. Olive skin
4. High cheekbones
List of 4 customs and/or beliefs of the cultural that are followed or practiced
2. Roman Catholicism is the major religion in the Italian culture. They go to church every Sunday and afterwards start preparing for family meals.
3. Art and architecture has shaped the Italian culture. Styles include classical Roman, Renaissance, Baroque, and Neoclassical. Sculpting or the painting of a person is how Italians remember family members, close friends, or past leaders. You will find paintings in almost every home over the fire place.
4. Italian cuisine is one of the most popular in the culture. The food has been served all around the world and is viewed as and art by many. Wine, cheese, and pasta are important part of their meals. Pasta comes in wide range of shapes, widths and lengths, including penne, spaghetti, linguine, fusilli, and lasagna. No one in Italy ever eats the same thing twice in a row. They cook homemade meals or recipes most of the time and enjoy ever bit of it with no left overs.
A challenge the Italian culture faces
Literature and Culture
What influences a writer/composer to create a literary text?
Generally a writer/composer are influenced by the things they see around them. Their daily live, and story, or even a dramatic event that had occurred. For example, Young Richard Wagner from Venice, Italy. He entertained ambitions to be a playwright, and first became interested in music as a means of enhancing the dramas that he wanted to write and stage.
How is literature like (or unlike) life? / How does literature reveal the values of an individual culture?
How is our understanding of culture and society constructed through and by literature?
To what extent are there universal literary themes, ideas, and issues of interest or concern to all cultures and societies?
What are some methods or strategies for promoting cultural awareness and acceptance?
What are some statements that affirm the need for cultural acceptance?
"If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to allow his vision wherever it takes him."~ JFK
"It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences."~Audre Lorde
"Strength lies in differences, not in similarities."~ Stephen Covey