Lenape Smoke Signals
Week of January 11- 15
- January 11-24 - Bucks County Free Library Card Drive
- January 13, 3:00 - Career & Community Spotlight Event
- January 18 - MLK Jr. Day; No School
- January 21, 9:00 - Parent Council Meeting
- January 22, 2:00-4:00 - Picture Retakes in Cafeteria
- January 25, 26, & 28 - Spring Musical Auditions
- January 29 - End of 2nd Marking Period; Early Dismissal at 10:45
Instructional Mode Changes for MP3
As we approach the end of the first semester, we’d like to give you the opportunity to reevaluate your family’s instructional mode choice for the next marking period. Please contact GSAULLO@CBSD.ORG no later than Friday, January 22nd, 2021 if you would like to make a change in your child’s delivery mode. We will make changes to the extent possible while following our spacing and social distancing guidelines. Please note that we cannot make changes between hybrid modes (moving from H1 to H2); the changes are reserved for a move from virtual to hybrid, or vice-versa. Additionally, many families requested a move to virtual instruction during the holidays. You must contact us in order to switch your child back to a hybrid model. If you do not wish to make a change, there is no need to respond.
Spring Musical Auditions
Additional information is also available on Mrs. Rodgers' teacher site.
School Photos & Retakes
Any student who may have missed picture day or who wishes to have their photo retaken may do so on Friday, January 22nd from 2:00 to 4:00 in the cafeteria. Sign up for a timeslot here.
Bucks County Free Library Card Drive
The Lenape Library is excited to partner with the Bucks County Free Library to help students register for a library card. Our Virtual Library Card Drive will run from January 11 – 24.
All BCFL branches are open for in-person selection or curb-side pickup. BCFL’s digital resources are available anytime, anywhere, and are completely free with your library card.
Ready to register for a library card? Here's how:
- Click on this link between January 11 - 24 to go to the online library card application for students: https://buckslib.org/school-outreach-library-card-application/
- Enter the password: $choolyear2020
- Select Lenape Middle School from the dropdown list
- Complete the application with your information. If you are under age 14, please have your adult at home complete the application with you.
- After the drive has ended, your library card will be sent to school and delivered to your ELA teacher. If you are a virtual student, pickup dates will be communicated when the drive has ended.
We hope you enjoy the many resources the Bucks County Free Library has to offer!
MLK Jr. Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit
Program Planning for 2021-22
Program planning for 9th graders is officially underway. The journey between now and the first day at CB West is exciting. Earlier this week our 9th graders participated in a virtual kickoff assembly. A recording of this event is on the Lenape Schoolwide Canvas program planning site. This, and many other tools the students will need over the next couple of months, are on the Canvas site. It is important that students reference this site for all the tools they will need throughout this process. CB West curriculum Fair videos were released yesterday. The link to the videos can be found within the letter from Mr. Donovan sent in an email blast or by going right to West guidance page.
Your student’s Lenape counselor is available to support this process. It is important that students visit the Canvas page as their main point of reference. As far as what is important this week, please focus on watching and perhaps re-watching the videos including our kickoff. Students have until February 7th to enter their courses so there is no need to rush through decisions. Students should invest time in considering which electives they are most interested in.
Career & Community Spotlight Events
Our next Career and Community Spotlight speaker is Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 3:00 p.m. We’re very excited about our speaker, Chris Spinner, who is co-founder and partner of Mad Icarus Media. Chris is an executive marketing consultant for Fortune 100 and 500 companies. He is a successful startup entrepreneur, business developing partner, and has an impressive range of experience in digital, traditional, and integrated marketing. Chris is also launching another company built around the strategic marketing consulting needs of his clients. Chris is excited about his opportunity to talk to students about his career and hopes to inspire them to pursue that which they love, no matter what it is! Kaitlyn Deeter, Lenape 7th grader, will be our Moderator. A link to the event will be in a Canvas announcement before the event. Join us! Students who attend the duration of the Live Teams Event will earn an entry in an end of year drawing for 3 Lenape Spirit baskets.
Live Events are Wednesdays at 3:00. Please contact Jodi Schmon with feedback/questions concerning the Career & Community Spotlights. Below is a list of past and upcoming events:
- November 18: Det Ansinn, Brick Simple. STEM Career Cluster, facilitated by Jack Burleson
- December 9: Ashley Heidler, Doylestown Hospital. Wellness/Connection to Community, facilitated by Alexandra O'Donnell
- January 13: Chris Spinner, Mad Icarus Media. Marketing Career Cluster, facilitated by Kaitlin Deeter
- February 3: Matt Metzger, Penn State Abington Admissions. Digital Footprint
- February 24: Adam Assoian, Ally Psychological Services. Human Services Career Cluster
November Boomerang Award Winner: Academic Motivation
December Boomerang Award Winner: Positive Peer Influence
Sports & Extracurricular Information
Updated Sports Masking Letter
Updated Spectator Information
Lenape Sports This Week
Monday, January 11
8th grade girls' basketball vs. Holicong (3:15)
7th grade girls' basketball at Holicong (3:15)
Tuesday, January 12
8th grade girls' basketball at Tohickon (3:15)
7th grade girls' basketball vs. Tohickon (3:15)
Wednesday, January 13
No contests scheduled
Thursday, January 14
8th grade girls' basketball at Tamanend (3:15)
7th grade girls' basketball vs. Tamanend (3:15)
Friday, January 15
No contests scheduled
Lenape Extracurricular Activities
Lenape & CB West Orchestra Winter Album
The featured performance of the album is the CB West Virtual Orchestra performing Post Malone's Sunflower from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. You can view it here.
Free Breakfast & Lunch Each Day - Reminder
Please remind your child(ren) that all students are entitled to a free breakfast and lunch each day. Breakfast is available each morning until 7:30 in the cafeteria and outside of the auditorium. Grab and go lunches are available every day in the cafeteria during dismissal. It is our hope that all students take advantage of these nutritious (and free!) meals!
Attendance - Reminder
- Hybrid Students - In Person Days: If a student should be physically present in the building and staying home, we do need this communication to come from the parents or guardians. Please email our attendance office at email@example.com. It is important for us to be able to account for all students for safety reasons. If a student is not in school (but even attending online) the initial absence code will be “absent” until we have a communication from parents. The attendance code will be changed to VP (Virtual Present) once we have the communication from the parent/guardian. We do ask for the communication in advance of the absence so teachers are aware. It also ensures that parents and guardians are aware that the student is at home and has permission.
- Online Students - Students all Virtual or Hybrid Students on Virtual Days: If a student does not attend class, the student will be marked absent unexcused until we receive communication from parents. If a student logs on but stops engaging in the class, their attendance code will be changed to VC (Virtual Cut).
For Your Information
Safe2Say is a valuable resource that has been set up by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to provide a method for anyone to report a concern about a student or group of students 24/7. Please note some important reminders about the use of Safe2Say:
- If you put in a tip, please check back often for communications. The tip line is monitored 24/7 at the state level. The tip is sent to the school and/or police if it is deemed "Life Safety" immediately. It is sent in the morning if it is determined to be "Non-Life Safety."
- It is important to include as much information as possible. If you have evidence of your concerns, please share that evidence via the tip or with us. You can attach pictures and videos in the Safe2Say system.
Please remember that Safe2Say is statewide system that is used in collaboration with the State Attorney's Office, emergency responders, and school officials. It is important to know that tips are reviewed on the state level before being passed to the local police and/or school authorities. Please consider the purpose of your tip - Is it to provide another person with a way to receive help? Is it preventing an act of violence? Is it something that needs to involve local and state authorities? While the system is anonymous, abuse of the system will not be tolerated and actions will be taken if it is determined that the system is being used inappropriately.
Guidance Sparks - Success in the New Economy
In today’s world we are all trying to know what is best for our children but it is difficult to see what lies ahead for them. The “Sparks” video below gives some economic insight into the past, present and future. Please share your reactions to this video with you children for their own understanding of future possibilities: Success in the new economy
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lenape Valley Foundation Workshops
Lenape Valley Foundation is offering two free virtual workshops for caregivers of children and teens. The workshops will be led by Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists. Each session will also include a presentation from a Board Certified Child Psychiatrist and Q&A for attendees. Participants must register in advance to receive the Zoom meeting link & information. Parents, grandparents, caregivers, loved ones, professionals and more are invited to attend.
Click here for the dates and topics.
Technology Information and Resources
Health and Safety Resources
A friendly reminder: If your child is sick and is exhibiting any Covid-like symptoms, please reference the chart below to determine if it is safe for them to come to school. If you need guidance, please do not hesitate to contact the nurse's office for assistance.
Per the most recent update to the masking order, shields will no longer be an acceptable face covering option for staff or students as per updated regulations from the state and district. For more details, click here: https://www.cbsd.org/2020-21