SD81 Board of Education Highlights
Reporting on the April 20, 2016 Meeting
In this Issue:
- New Members Laura Lukasik and Ana Ultreras Take Oath of Office
- SD81 BOE Receives INSPRA Award of Excellence for Distinguished Service
- BOE Approves the 2016-2021 Superintendent Contract
The BOE approved the Payment of Bills & Payroll
- March 2016 Bills in the amount of $1,500
- April 2016 Bills in the amount of $691,570.44
- March Payroll in the amount of $909,090.14
First Public Participation:
- BOE Bulletin Board: Introduction of new members Laura Lukasik and Ana Ultreras.
- SD81 BOE received Award of Excellence for Distinguished Service from the Illinois chapter of the National School Public Relations Association (INSPRA). President Desecki stated that the Board was honored to be nominated by their superintendent, Dr. Boryszewski. There will be a luncheon in May for award recipients.
- The BOE discussed their experiences at the NSBA Conference, including: meeting others from different parts of the country, educational breakout sessions, and outstanding and inspirational speakers to learn from.
- The IASB West Cook Spring Meeting will be held at Ridgewood High School, 6:30 pm on April 25th.
Old Business Information
- Facility Committee Update: The committee met at the end of March and discussed revised timeline for the Kennedy School construction, due to permit delays. They also discussed an update on the FAA tower, and discussed bid package #2.
- Finance Committee Update: The committee met in early April. The committee supported the recommendation to award HAPP Builders bid package #2, which was officially awarded at a special meeting of the BOE. Also discussed was the revised finance plan with the actual numbers for bid packages 1 & 2.
- Policy Committee Update: Reviewed Facility Use Policy. Buildings are predominantly used by Saint Maria Goretti and Schiller Park Recreation Department for Kids Club and summer camps. The costs incurred are minimal. There will be a new facility request form. Recommendations for changes include intergovernmental agreement for the continued use at the cost of maintaining the District's fields.
New Business Information
- Press Policy Updates - First Reading. The Policy Committee will meet again and make recommendations.
- Full Day Kindergarten: Dr. Boryszewski stated that next year SD81 will have full day kindergarten instead of extended day. The extended day was due to the available resources and support at the time. It is in the best interest of the students to have them in school all day. President Desecki thanked Dr. Boryszewski, the Kennedy administration and teachers for the hard work that went into scheduling in order to implement the full-day kindergarten program.
- Dr. Boryszewski explained that there has been a decrease in interest in the multi-age program at Kennedy School. Next school year there will no longer be a multi-age program, but rather traditional classroom programs for 1st and 2nd graders.
New Business Action
The BOE Approved:
- The 2016-2017 Student Handbooks for Kennedy, Washington, and Lincoln Middle School.
- Change of Board meeting dates for May and June of 2016. The new meeting dates will be Wednesday, May 25 and Wednesday, June 22.
The BOE approved and accepted the following:
- Resolution #16-14 Authorizing A New Performance Based Superintendent's Contract for Dr. Kimberly Boryszewski
- Approval of 2016-2021 Superintendent Employment Contract
- Classified Staff Hires
- Accept Certified Staff Parental Leave
- Accept Classified Staff Resignations
- Accept Classified Staff Retirement
- Resolution #16-15 Authorizing Notice of Dismissal to Paraprofessional Employees
Second Public Participation