With Young People
♡ SPEEDING ISSUE + STATISTICS ♡
Speeding – defined as "exceeding the posted speed limit, driving too fast for conditions, or racing" – is a dangerous driving behavior that is often overlooked.
- Injury is the single biggest killer of Australian youth; more than all other causes combined
- 45 per cent of all young Australian injury deaths are due to road traffic crashes
- The injury death rate for Indigenous youth is 5 times greater than for non-Indigenous youth
- Of all hospitalisations of young Australians, almost half are drivers involved in a road traffic crash and another quarter are passengers
- Young drivers (17 – 25 years) represent one-quarter of all Australian road deaths, but are only 10 – 15% of the licensed driver population
EXAMPLE OF A ROAD SAFETY INITIATIVE
More "Lollipop Crossing Patrols" People, who hold up stop signs when children cross the road, from school. Children will be a lot more safe if a person is controlling the traffic, and it'll also draw a lot of attention to cars that a coming towards the crossing walk way, so it's more likely they'll stop.
Just Slow Down 2011