By: Chloe Skaluba
- The actual name for the mumps is Epidemic parotitis
- Swollen painful salivary glands on one or both sides of your face ( parotitis )
- Muscle aches
- Weakness / fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- Pain while chewing/swallowing
The Mumps spread by saliva or mucus from the mouth, nose, or throat.
- Coughing, Sneezing, Talking
- Sharing items such as, cups, eating utensils, etc.
- Touching objects with unwashed hands
Prevention and Treatment
- There is no current treatment for the Mumps
- Medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen can help fever or pain
- To help prevent the Mumps you can get the Measles, Mumps, Rubella vaccine (MMR)
- Asprin should not be used in children with viral illness because its use in such cases has been associated with the development of Reye syndrome, which can lead to liver failure or death
picture of the mumps
Authors: Lisa A. Urry, Michael L. Cane, Steven A. Wasserman, Peter V. Minorsky, and Jackson R.B.
Name of book/encyclopedia: Campbell Biology
City where book was published: Boston
Copyright date: 2011
Publishing company: Pearson
In conclusion I learned that the mumps are a lot worse and painful than I thought. I also learned what the mumps are and how they effect people.
P.S. I have to say this MUMP DAY!!