England Vs. Spain & Spanish Armada
Spain and England were not close after Catherine of Aragon was divorced. By the time that Elizabeth I took the throne, they were enemies. Spain believed that Elizabeth did not have the right to the throne. Elizabeth encouraged the plundering of Spanish ships that had came from the new world with treasures.Elizabeth also supported the Dutch Revolt which Spain was trying to end. Phillip believed the throne should belong to him and intended to take it.
The Direct Cause: Phillip II sent out the Spanish Armada loaded with around 30,000 men to attack England and their Vessels. The armada was also loaded with gunpowder and weapons.
Indirect Cause: Religion was a major part of the beginning of the war because England was Protestant and Spain was Roman Catholic. Phillip wanted to invade England and turn the country back into a Roman Catholic nation.
- August, 10, 1585 Treaty of Nonsuch - Allowed England to provide aid to the Dutch rebels in the Dutch Revolt -
- September 1585- July 1586 - Sir Francis Drake raids Spanish boats Vigo, Cape Verde, Santo Domingo and St. Agustine -
- February, 1587 - Mary, Queen of Scotts is executed -
- April, 1587 - Drake sinks 37 Warships in the port of Cadiz -
- July, 19, 1588 - Spanish Armada is seen off the coast of England -
- July, 29, 1588 - the Spanish Armada is defeated -
- August, 1588 - England wins the battle of Gravelines - the ships are forced to sail around Ireland, terrible storms destroy many of Spain's ships
- August 2, 1595 - Battle of Cornwall - Spain attacked several towns around Mount's bay -
- January 28, 1596 - Sir Francis Drake dies of dysentery
- 1601-1602 - the Battle of Kinsale drives the Spainsh out of Ireland
- 1603- James I is crowned the King of England after Queen Elizabeth I dies
- August, 18, 1604 - Treaty of London is signed -
She was the queen of England at the time, and the controller of the English Armada. England had many enemies at this time and very little wealth.
The King of Spain at the time, he was the controller of the Spanish Armada. Spain was extraordinarily rich because of their expeditions to the new world.
Sir Francis Drake
The second in command of the English Armada, explorer and first englishman to circumnavigate the world. He was knighted by the queen because of his efforts in the war.
¨I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and a king of England too! And think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any Prince of Europe, that should dare to invade the borders of my realm¨.
-Elizabeth I, Tilbury Speech
Elizabeth is saying that even though she is a queen she will fight with them. She is saying this to get them ready to fight and protect England form Spain. Elizabeth does not want to wait on the sidelines she wants to fight with her country. (see website for full text)
Spain was favored in this treaty, they received preferential treatment and got what they wanted.
"Elizabeth I." N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2015.
"The Spanish Armada." BBC News. BBC, n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2015.
QUEEN ELIZABETH I(1533-1603)." Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603). N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2015.
History of the Monarchy. N.p., n.d. Web.