Findley Elementary School
February 15, 2019
Letter from Dr. Marsh
February has been a busy month for students and staff alike! We have had PYP Going Public Nights, Blazer performances, portfolio celebrations and much much more taking place in the classrooms each and every day!
With so much going on, we really appreciate having time together as a staff to learn new ways we can support our students in their success here at Findley. With that time our teachers have also been learning new strategies and techniques to support both students and staff with emotional regulation. During our early release collaboration time last Wednesday, staff learned about the Zones of Regulation. The Zones are used to support students with self-regulation by labeling all the different ways we feel and states of alertness we experience into four zones. The Zones provide strategies to teach students to become more aware of their emotions, improve controlling their emotions and impulses, managing their sensory needs, and improving their ability to problem solve conflicts.
I encourage you as parents to look at the Zones chart above to familiarize yourselves with the language we are using at school. If you have any questions, please reach out! We are happy to go over the Zones and strategies with anyone who would like more information.
There are a lot of upcoming events, so please make sure to read on for more news!
Family Language Day!
Family Culture Day is coming up at Findley! This is a day of appreciation for all of the different languages spoken and cultures represented at our wonderfully diverse school. There are several parts of this celebration to connect home culture to school. Your child can participate on February 21st by:
- Donating a book that is in a family language or Spanish to our Language Library
- Wearing a color or item of clothing that represents a part of their culture.
- Bringing in the Name Project that was sent home in Friday Folders. If you lost the paper, if can be downloaded here
Kindy Registration Now Open
Please go to the Findley website and click on register online. Be sure to choose school year 2019-2020 to get started.
Kindy roundup is April 4 - 4:30. Please register prior to roundup.
Snow Route Information
Below is a list of the bus routes and their pickup / drop off locations and approximate times.
Once the buses are on snow route in the morning they will be on snow route in the afternoon.
Late start will need to have 2 hours added to the pickup times.
Bus 133 - Regular Route
Bus 173 - Route Cancelled - no service
Bus 134 Pick Up
8:09 AM NW Kaiser Rd & NW Central Ct.
8:11 AM NW 140th Ave & NW Harbor Ln
There is no service at Bannister
Bus 134 Drop Off
3:12 PM NW Kaiser Rd. & NW Central Ct.
3:18 PM NW 140th Ave & NW Harbor Ln.
There is no service at Bannister
Bus 162 Pick Up
8:08 AM NW Werner Ln & NW 146th Pl
8:09 AM NW Skycrest Pkwy & NW Tradewind St.
8:11 AM NW Skycrest Pkwy & NW Harbor Ln
Bus 162 Drop Off
3:19 PM NW Werner Ln & NW 146th Pl.
3:19 PM NW Skycrest Pkwy & NW Tradewind St.
3:20 PM NW Skycrest Pkwy & NW Harbor Ln
Findley Book Fair - February 22nd to 28th
NEW LOCATION IN THE MAKER’S SPACE ROOM
The Scholastic Book Fair planning is in full force! We are excited to bring you some wonderful books for the kids and our fantastic teachers!
The book fair days/hours are:
Friday, February 22nd - 3pm-8:30pm (shop before and during BINGO night!)
Monday, February 25th – Wednesday, February 27th (at lunch and after school until 4pm)
SPECIAL EVENING HOURS – Wednesday, February 27th– 4pm-7pm
LAST DAY – Thursday, February 28th at lunch only!
Teachers will be getting their wish list together for new additions to their classroom libraries. What a great way to support our fabulous teachers!
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND! - Share your love of reading with a child in the community by purchasing a book for a student at McKinley Elementary
Visit our book fair website for dates/hours, online shopping, and to set up your child’s wallet - http://www.scholastic.com/bf/findleyelementaryschool
Keep Findley’s book fair green. Bring your own reusable shopping bag!
· Many volunteers are needed to set up, operate cash registers, help students shop & clean up. Helping out is fun & rewarding!
· If you want to sign up to be a volunteer - Book Fair Volunteer Sign Up
Findley Science Fair – March 13th
● use math or science at work, or have a science-related job?
● work in medicine, dentistry, engineering, biotechnology, energy, or other science-related field?
● design shoes, use specially treated fabric, make computer chips or semiconductors, or work in a laboratory?
● have a science or engineering-related hobby
● If so, we hope you'll volunteer as a guest exhibitor at the Findley Science Fair and share how science or engineering is used in your field.
Bring something the kids can see or touch, and yourself, for a demonstration or hands-on exhibit.
Wednesday, March 13, 2019 Set-up 5:30 pm
Exhibit 6-8 pm
Sign up to volunteer!
Contact Kristin Vande Zandschulp at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your help making the Science Fair a great learning experience for our students.
Staff Appreciation Potluck: February 21st
Our school has amazing teachers/staff and it's time to show our appreciation!
On Thursday, 2/21 is the Staff Appreciation International Lunch. The theme is Japanese food but you can bring in any dish you would like.
We are asking you, our fabulous parents, to please bring in one (or more) of the following for the lunch:
- Appetizers/Snacks - 4
- Salads - 4
- Fruit Tray - 2
- Main Dish - 8
- Desserts - 6
Click on the following link to sign up - STAFF APPRECIATION POTLUCK SIGN UP
- Bring food to Findley Office by 10:30am on 2/21/19.
- Rinsed dishes can be picked up after 2pm.
- Food can be home cooked or store bought.
If you have any questions, you can contact the Staff Appreciation Committee Lead, Sara Sullivan at email@example.com.
Findley Flyer Needs Volunteers!!!
Findley Flyers is a running/walking club that takes place during recess on Tuesdays and Thursdays before school at 8am.
If your child is interested in participating, just tell them to come find us on the playground at recess or Thursday morning before school out on the track. Every student has a running card ready to go and they can run or walk as much as they choose - earning prizes along the way and learning that exercise can be fun! It encourages kids to be physically fit and work towards goals. You don’t need to be a runner to volunteer. There are a lot of ways you can help out.
· Volunteering - It's fun & easy; help students find cards, mark cards for completed laps, hand out prizes and cheer on students!
· Sign up on the link provided so we can see that we have enough volunteers and notify you in case we need to cancel due to weather: http://signup.com/go/5XxkNg
· Sign in on the mVP time clock in the front office, grab your Photo ID Badge and meet us at the Findley Playground.
Tuesday Volunteer Times:
K - 1st 10:15 am - 11:10 am
2nd - 3rd 11:10 am - 12:05 pm
4th - 5th 12:00 pm - 12:55 pm
Save the Date! Findley PTO General Meeting Dates
PTO General Meetings (Findley Library) – Presentations and staff updates. Open to all interested parents!
* Monday, May 20 - 7pm