December 4th, 2020
Mrs. Shaffer’s STEM Update
This week is the last of the four-week STEM/Library rotations. Beginning next week, students in K-2 will see Mrs. Brockman for library, and students in 3-5 will see me for STEM. I will upload my virtual classroom again in Seesaw for the K-2 students if they would like to continue their coding work or try out some design challenges.
We’ll begin next week with Hour of Code Activities. December 7th-11th is Computer Science Education Week! Code.org has great coding activities for students at any level. Next week they are also offering CodeBytes. They are described as “easy-to-digest, 20 minute interactive lessons that will stream during Computer Science Education Week, December 7-11.” Check out the link here for more information. The Tuesday and Friday episodes will be of particular interest to our LEE students :-)
If you’re not up for coding, try out this design challenge at home. The Boredom Sandwich is an activity you can do after listening to the story of Carla’s Sandwich by Debbie Herman. If you try it out, please share pictures of your creations with me!
As always, please feel free to email me with any questions.
Eco-Cycle Holiday Recycling Guide
WINTER BREAK READING CHALLENGE
(DECEMBER 18 - JANUARY 6)
St. Vrain Valley elementary schools and preschools are invited to participate in the District’s second annual Thanksgiving Reading Challenge.
Participating schools will utilize the myOn reader program to record the number of minutes read by their students over Thanksgiving break.
Please click below for more information.
MIDDLE SCHOOL ENROLLMENT
5th grade students who are presently attending Longmont Estates under open enrollment are not guaranteed open enrollment in our feeder middle school (Westview Middle School). If you do not want to go to your neighborhood middle school, you will need to submit an online open enrollment form to the middle school you want to attend. Click here for more information on open enrollment
All 5th grade families regardless of open enrollment status will need to submit an application to your school of choice for the 2021-2022 school year. Applications can be submitted December 1, 2020-December 18, 2020.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the office at 720-652-8101.
2021-2022 REGISTRATION INFORMATION
As planning begins for the 2021-2022 school year, there are some important dates that are approaching that you need to put on your calendar:
- Preschool Registration: December 1st-December 15th: Submit applications. December 1 through December 15 is the period in which applications for enrollment should be submitted to the requested school. Registration continues after December 15, but choice program may be limited for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Kindergarten/1st-12th Grade Registration: December 1, 2020-December 18, 2020: Submit applications. December 1 through December 18 is the period in which applications for enrollment should be submitted to the requested school.
To register for school, a new student must be:
- a resident of the District (proof of residency required) - if you are not a resident of our attendance area, please click here and refer to Open Enrollment
- between the ages of 5 and 18 years
- 5 years old on or before October 1, 2021 for Kindergarten or 6 years old on or before October 1, 2021 for First grade
The new student must have:
- A birth certificate
- Proof of address such as a utility bill
- Up-to-date immunization records or statement of exemption
- Evidence of a recent physical examination is requested for Preschool
- Name, address, and telephone number of last school attended
Please click on the links below for more information regarding a specific grade level.