Integrating Graphic Novels into Language Arts
STORY 5: "BLOOD FEUD"
- DRACULA, KING OF VAMPIRES, ARRIVES TO DRAIN THE AVENGERS OF THEIR POWERS
- DRACULA CAPTURES BLACK WIDOW AND USES HER AS BAIT TO LURE THE OTHER S
- CAPTAIN AMERICA ALONG WITH IRON MAN WANT TO USE SCIENCE, AND SCIENTIFIC METHOD TO BATTLE AGAINST DRACULA.
- THOR, HAWKEYE AND FALCON TAKE SIDES WITH SUPERSTITION AND BRING ALONG GARLIC AND FLASHLIGHTS IN ORDER TO SCARE OFF DRACULA
- AS BOTH TEAMS TRY TO FACE OFF DRACULA AND HIS VAMPIRES, BLACK WIDOW MANAGES TO ESCAPE
- MEANWHILE DRACULA IS ABOUT TO DRAIN THE POWERS OF CAPTAIN AMERICA WHEN INSTEAD HULK IS BITTEN AND HIS POWERS ARE PASSED ONTO DRACULA
- DURING THIS TRANSFORMATION, CAPTAIN AMERICA OBSERVES DRACULA AND COMES UP WITH A SCIENTIFIC METHOD TO GET RID OF HIM FOR GOOD
- WITHOUT ANY LUCK WITH SUPERSTITION, THE OTHER AVENGERS JOIN CAPTAIN AMERICA AND IRON MAN AND THEY ARE ABLE TO REVERSE THE ROLES OF HULK AND DRACULA
- ONCE DRACULA IS LEFT POWERLESS, THE AVENGERS ARE ABLE TO LOCK HIM UP
How do Graphic Novels promote literacy?
Graphic Novels attract all types of children to read. They have very rich, complex plots and narrative structures that can be satisfying to readers in advanced levels. They are also flexible enough that often the same titles can be equally appealing to the reluctant readers. As a result, Graphic Novels can dramatically help improve reading development for all students.
How can the Avengers Assembly be incorporated into curriculum?
- Examine Literary Elements
- Study the Genre Itself
- Assess Student Learning
- Bridging Literacies
- Create Comic (Art)
- Focusing on punctuation, paragraph format and outlining.