January 15, 2016
From Mr. Backmeyer's Desk
It has been a week without routine, but one that also offers other learning opportunities!
Great things inside this week's newsletter:
- No school Monday but opportunities below for you and your family - Let it Shine @ The Commons @ 2 PM & a 6th Grade Chicago Trip Fundraiser @ Chicago's Pizza
- Basketball Tournament & Cheer Day information
- eLearning/Chromebook Pilot
- Access to FREE books
- PreK information & more
January 18 - MLK Jr. Day - NO SCHOOL (See community opportunity for you below)
January 20 - Tournament basketball games @ Schmitt against Schmitt
January 22 - EBL Semi Final Games (if we win on 1/20)
January 23 - EBL Championship Game (if we won on 1/22) and Cheer Day @ 2 (Doors open @ 1:15 pm)
February 29 - ISTEP+ window opens for grades 3-6
March 14-18 - SPRING BREAK
2 Hour Delay? Cancellation? Want to receive text/email notifications from BCSC?
HELP IN CAR LINE!
- The car line is getting backed up significantly because of parents/guardians getting out of their cars and walking around to let their child out, get backpacks, etc. PLEASE have your student ready to exit the car ON THE PASSENGER'S SIDE when you pull up. This keeps your student SAFE and it keeps the car line moving.
- You could also help us by pulling as far forward as possible so we can get as many cars in as possible.
- If you would like the opportunity to walk your student into the building to get them ready for the day, you can park in the fairgrounds parking lot and walk your student into the building.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!
eLearning Day / Chromebook Pilot
eLearning Day- Starting on the 6th snow day or any day after Spring Break (March 14-18), BCSC will have an eLearning Day. Students will NOT report to school on an eLearning Day, but will be completing assignments online through itslearning, BCSC’s online course management system. To learn more click the link- BCSC's eLearning Day
5th/6th Chromebook Pilot- Southside is preparing a pilot where BCSC chromebooks will be going home with our 5th and 6th grade students. Information went home today. This pilot program will provide information to the district about future take-home opportunities. Acceptable Usage Policy forms were sent home yesterday for 5th-6th grade students and must be turned in before they can take home a chromebook.
Mustang Basketball Tournament...Round 2 Wednesday
The EBL Tournament began this past Wednesday at Schmitt Elementary. Both teams were victorious against Rockcreek! Both teams play Schmitt at Schmitt Elementary School on Wednesday. Girls play at 5:30 pm and the boys play following. The doors @ Schmitt will open @ 5:00 pm.
LET IT SHINE - The American Civil Rights Movement
Monday, Jan. 18th, 2pm
300 Washington Street
BRIGHT STAR TOURING THEATRE performs
LET IT SHINE: The American Civil Rights Movement
Monday, January 18, 2016
See flier & worksheet at link below
Growth Mindset: SAY THIS...NOT THAT
6th Grade Chicago Trip Fundraiser @ Chicago's Pizza on Monday
Monday, Jan. 18th, 5-10pm
3780 West Jonathan Moore Pike
On the evening of January 18th, Southside Elementary is "taking over" 20% of profits at Chicago's Pizza! This generous percent of profit will help support students who might need financial assistance to attend our Chicago trip. All we do is enjoy a night out with our family and friends. Just let them know Southside sent you! A big thanks to Chicago's Pizza for this donation.
Staff...they are always learning!
BCSC Bus Drivers...thank you for getting students safely to school!
Under and Over...
in P.E. class this week!
LOOK: FREE Access to Thousands of Digital Books
Through the Hoosier Family of Readers initiative, students and their families across the state will have unlimited access to reading material on myON, giving families an opportunity to share rich literacy experiences together regardless of their socioeconomic status or whether or not there is a proficient reader in the home.
- More than 4,000 digital books ranging from illustrated and picture books to chapter books, graphic novels, literary non-fiction, photo and informational texts spanning multiple eras and cultures.
- The collection includes 70% nonfiction, 10% Spanish or dual language and 20% Hi-Lo titles, and is continually growing.
- A wide range of titles and topics provides varying levels of text complexity and support close reading in a range of genres and content areas, including history/social studies, science and technical works.
- Books are available online anytime, anywhere students have access to an Internet connection, 24x7,
- There’s no limit to the number of students who can read the same book at the same time on myON.
- Click on this link - Students can download up to 20 titles for offline reading using free mobile apps for iPad and Android tablets.
How to Log In to myON
1. Go to https://www.myon.com/school/hoosier/
2. Enter the School Name: Hoosier Family of Readers (The School Name will automatically populate as you type)
3. Enter the username read and password read.
4. Click the green Sign In button.
Begin Reading! Click on All Books to browse through the entire myON Library and enjoy reading with your child this summer!
New Hallway Wall
The masons are in the school putting up walls!
on our construction! Our new classrooms have metal studs!
the beginning of what will be sinks and toilets!
From the Nurse's Office...
It looks like we are finally starting to see Winter temperatures. With that being said, our students still go outside for recess every day when the temperature and wind chill are above 20 degrees. Please make sure that your child comes to school with appropriate winter apparel every day. If they do not wear their winter coat to school they will not be permitted out to recess. If your child does not have a winter coat, please contact me at 812-376-4426.
Thank you for all of your help with trying to keep our students healthy.
Kelly Stephens LPN
CLICK HERE for directions on how to receive text message updates from Southside/Mr. Backmeyer
WHAT IF we needed YOU to KNOW...
WHAT IF there was an EMERGENCY? WHAT IF we needed to GET INFORMATION TO YOU? This is a QUICK and EASY way to communicate needed information TO YOU!
What is REMIND?
Principals everywhere are forgetting their complex phone trees and are using Remind as a simple way to keep their colleagues in the loop and build community at their schools.
Click on the Get Connected with REMIND above this article OR click on this link to get connected - remind.com/join/southsidep
Instructions in Spanish - click here
Want to know more about the APPLICATION for PreK? Click this green link above!
Information on this great program. Southside has seen HUGE gains for students who are partnered with a "big". We NEED 10 BIGS - If you have time or know someone who would be a good fit, please consider this program.
Our Vision & Goal
Good, Better, Best,
Until Your Good is Better,
and Your Better is Best!
The Southside community will ensure all learners demonstrate growth by modeling positive choices and recognizing the gifts and challenges of each student through a collaborative working environment.