Mrs. Drew's Weekly Update
4th grade: Week of 4/25
This week in 4th grade...
- Language Arts: The students almost finished writing their opinion essays on a topic of their choice. We also took time to write thoughtful letters to soldiers for Operation Gratitude.
- Social Studies: We continued our studies of government. This week we discussed some of the political parties in our country, the system of checks & balances, and the purpose of each branch of government.
- Science: We've expanded our knowledge of Soils, Rocks, and Landforms by learning about physical weathering. We also began discussing chemical reactions (eg. acid rain breaking down certain rocks). The students learned about chemical reactions through an evaporation lab using vinegar to simulate acid rain.
- Math: We began learning about units of capacity (U.S. Customary & Metric). We used measuring cups and pitchers to visualize the various amounts. At the end of the week we learned about U.S. Customary units of weight.
Results of our evaporation lab- rocks which contained a mineral called Calcite had a chemical reaction. It left little crystals in the evaporation dish!
Next week in 4th grade...
- Language Arts: Grammar: verbs & nouns; publish Opinion essays; final Literacy Circle meetings
- Social Studies: dive further into government unit, work on capitols- Students may use this link to practice:http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/USA_Geography/USA_Caps_1_1024.html
- Science: continue unit on soils, rocks, and land forms (erosion & deposition)
- Math: continue ch. 12 on capacity
- May 1st (S): Mariner's Game
- May 4th (W): Operation Gratitude ends
- May 9th (M): No School; Professional Development Day (Camp Offered)