Fourth Grade News
Week of February 1, 2016
Science Test on Friday, February 5th - Earth's Surface and Resources
Reading Homework - Due Tuesday, Feb. 2nd
Watch the video reviewing the Pick, List, Choose strategy we worked on last week. Post a comment with one of the main ideas that the teacher brainstormed.
Math homework - Due Monday, Feb. 8th (next week!)
Solve all problems in your math book on pages 551, 552, 611 – 614. This is a test review for an upcoming math test on fractions, so it is extremely important to complete this homework. It will be a great idea for you to do a small part of your homework each day, since you have 6 pages of problem solving to finish!
Spelling Test on Friday, February 5th
Here is how your child can access the weekly spelling list on Spelling City:
The spelling list can be found linked to the following website:
Once spelling city is pulled up, the list will appear and your child can do different activities to help them study.
Please let Mrs. Miller or Ms. Hill know if you have any questions.
Valentine's Day Parties - Note from Mrs. Ramos.....
Fourth Grade Valentine's Day Parties - Friday, February 12th
Miss. Burke - MissBurkeatWells2015
Ms. Hill - MsHillsatWells2015
Mrs. Miller - MrsMilleratWells2015
Ms. Murugesan - MsMurugesanatWells2015
Mrs. Sewell - MrsSewellatWells2015
Students of the Week
Ms. Hill's Class
Mrs. Miller's Class
Ms. Murugesan's Class
(As of now, all students in Ms. Murugesan's class have had a turn to be a student of the week)
Mrs. Sewell's Class
(As of now, all students in Mrs. Sewell's class have had a turn to be a student of the week)
January Book IT Reading Calendar
We distributed the January Book-It tracking calendar to our students. This month's reading requirement is 320 minutes. Encourage your student to bring the tracking calendar in as soon as they have read the required minutes. A free Pizza Hut pizza coupon is waiting! January trackers will need to be turned in by February 1st .
Topics 10 and 11 - Fractions
1. I can use number lines and strip diagrams to add and subtract fractions.
2. I can add and subtract fractions with different denominators.
1. I can determine the correct subject pronoun (a pronoun that takes the place of a noun in the subject) and the correct object pronoun (a pronoun that takes the place of noun that follows an action verb) in a sentence.
1. I can use the context to infer the meaning of unfamiliar words.
2. I can distinguish the point of view of a text.
1. I can construct a fully elaborated paragraph with a main idea and supporting details.
1. I can describe the impact of the Civil War on Texas.
1. I can identify and classify Earth’s renewable and nonrenewable resources.
2. I can identify ways to conserve Earth’s natural resources.
Tiger Market Helpers for Friday, January 8th
By opening a book YOU can open a new world for a child and foster the love of reading for a lifetime!
Wells PTA is looking for volunteers to read aloud books to small groups of 1st and 2nd grade students. Book Buddies meet every Wednesday from 12:45 to 1:45. Please sign up and volunteer to fit your schedule; one time, once every two weeks, once a month or EVERY WEEK! You do not have to have a 1st or 2nd grader at Wells. ANYONE can volunteer! A Book Buddy can be a parent, grandparent, high school student or community member.
In order to be a Book Buddy, fill out the volunteer application on the PISD website or just click on the link below. It takes about a week to be approved.www.pisd.edu/about.us/partners.volunteers/volunteer.application.shtml
Then click on the SignUpGenius link below to choose your date and time to volunteer! www.signupgenius.com/go/20f044aabab23a0fd0-book