The U.S. Senate
- Must be at least 30 years old.
- Must have lived in the U.S. for 9 years before elections.
- Must be a legal resident of the state that they are representing.
Term of Office:
- Each person has a 6 year term.
- One-third of the senators can run for reelection every 2 years.
Salary and Benefits:
- Set their own salaries.
- Salaries are $174,000.
- When retired they are eligible for $150,000 or more a year for life.
Privileges & Benefits
- Free from arrest.
- Cannot be sued for anything they say on the House or Senate floor.