Our Town Happenings Week #34
Reagan Elementary :: Leander Independent School District
Week of May 16 - 20, 2016
WELCOME TO 4TH GRADE!
We often err on the side of over-informing to ensure you have all the information you need to help us partner together in making this a great year for your child. We know your time is valuable and your email boxes overflowing, but please take a moment to read our memo each week.
Weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let us know!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- final expository quick writes - Letters to My Future Self
- build Google Slides presentations on Famous Texan research
- playground project
- continue end of year individual reading assessments
- no more spelling for the school year
- inherited / learned traits
- begin performance task - Diary of a ____________
- Vocab Quiz #3 - Thursday, May 19th
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- Purple Specials day (Beasley / library; LaCombe / PE)
- last QUEST class for the 2015-16 school year
- Red specials day (Beasley / PE; LaCombe / Visual Art)
- Orange specials day (Beasley / Visual Art; LaCombe / PE)
- Yellow specials day (Beasley / PE; LaCombe / Performing Arts)
- Science Vocab Quiz #3 - Inherited / Learned Traits - 5 terms
- Green specials Day (PE / Performing Arts; LaCombe / PE)
- 4th/5th Track Meet at Ranger Stadium - Vista Ridge HS- RESCHEDULED FOR WEDNESDAY, 6/1 DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER POSSIBILITIES
- NO READING HOMEWORK FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE YEAR
- Sumdog - keep practicing those skills!
- Work on Living History Museum Display at home - posterboard and required elements list was sent home last week; students may use other resources if they prefer something different than the one provided by the school (tri-folds, larger or colored posterboard, etc) - DUE BACK TO SCHOOL BY WEDNESDAY, MAY 25th
- If Google Slides presentation is not completed at school during our computer lab time, students must complete at home. Slides presentations will be next week in class.
- NO SPELLING FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE YEAR
- Vocab Quiz #3 will be given this Thursday, May 19th. Students made flash cards to study from in class, and may also review the words online via the link below (also found in Google Classroom Science Class).
MATH PLAYGROUND PROJECT
This week, we will be applying math concepts we have been learning about all year long to design and build scale models of playgrounds! To make this project a success, we could use your help gathering materials. Below is a list of materials that we will use to make our scale models, many of which you may already have around your house. If you are able to donate any of these materials, please send them with your child to school early this week. Thank you in advance for your help!
- Wooden sticks such as toothpicks, craft sticks, or tongue depressors
- Cardboard tubes such as toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes
- Plastic straws and/or beverage lids
- Bottle corks
- Empty thread spools
- Plastic containers
- Cardboard, tagboard, or foam board
- String or yarn
- Copper wire
- Rubber bands
- Pipe cleaners
- Twist ties
- Modeling clay
- Stale marshmallows
- glue sticks - large size
- Any other craft or hobby items
TRACK AND FIELD MEET - RESCHEDULED FOR WEDNESDAY 6/1!!!
Hi 4th & 5th
Due to inclement weather forecasts, we are moving the 4th and 5th grade Track Meet to Wednesday, June 1st. The decision was made in the interest of student safety surrounding concerns of a wet track, wet field etc.
Thank you for your understanding,
Coach Carroll & Your Rays
If you haven't already done so, please fill out the online permission slip below.
Volunteers will be needed to help make this event a success, so consider sharing your time if you're able!
FLOATING AWAY TO 5TH GRADE
FAMOUS TEXAN RESEARCH PROJECT
IT'S RESEARCH TIME!!
This week, we will be building our Google Slides presentations using the information from our research outlines. Classes will spend two hours in the computer lab at school this week working on their presentations, and may use flex time as well; if they are unable to finish in that time, they will need to work on them at home.
Posterboard and a list of required elements were sent home last Wednesday for students to begin building their museum display boards for the upcoming living museum. Not every student chose to take a posterboard. If they prefer to use something else for their museum display other than the board we provided, that is fine. Museum displays are to be completed at home and are due back no later than Wednesday, May 25th.
For additional details and more specific dates, see the newsletter linked below.
LIVING MUSEUM DAY PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
- 10:00 - 11:00 - Flores, Eddy, & Weltzin homerooms perform
- 11:00 - 12:00 - Beasley & LaCombe homerooms perform - YEEEEE HAAAWWW!
- 1:30 - 2:30 - Lau & Heim homerooms perform
We would love to see you on Living Museum day! Feel free to come and support your little Davy Crockett, Bessie Coleman, or Ladybird Johnson if you are able. Performances will occur as scheduled above and will be upstairs in the 4th grade neighborhood.
A few reminders -
- Poster board for the museum displays was sent home Wednesday, May 11th. If students would like to use something other than the white posterboard we provide, they are welcome to. Museum displays must be completed at home and are due back to school no later than Wednesday, May 25th.
- While students are expected to dress as much like their Texan as possible on museum day, it is not our intent for you to purchase items specifically for this purpose. Let us know if you have any questions.
- A one minute video of last year's Living Museum can be found below if you would like to see what the event has been like in the past.
UPCOMING DATES - UPDATED THROUGH THE END OF THE YEAR!!
grader; please update your calendars accordingly. Please understand that dates are subject to change and more than likely will, but we will keep this list current to the best of our ability.
- Friday 5/20 - Track Meet at Vista Ridge High School
- Monday 5/24 - NO SCHOOL - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Friday 5/27 - Famous Texan Living Museum - SEE ABOVE FOR PERFORMANCE TIMES
- Monday 5/30 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- 4th 9 weeks - report cards sent home
- Last Day of School - Have a GREAT summer!
OUR WEEK IN PICTURES
Field Day Fun!
4th GRADE TUG-O-WAR CHAMPIONS!!
HELPFUL LINKS FOR PARENTS
CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WE DO ALL DAY?
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.