The 54th Regiment
By: Jamie Lowe
- February of 1863, John A. Andrew (governor of Massachusetts) issued the civil wars first black soldiers.
- Governor Andrew appointed a young white man named Robert Gould Shaw as Officer of the regiment.
- Two weeks after the regiment went to training camp more than 900 men had joined.
- On July 18, 1863 the 54th prepared to fight a Fort Wagner.
- 281 soldiers of the 600 died at Fort Wagner, they lost but they did a lot of damage.
- September of 1865 the 54th returned to Boston.