Hailey Manson, 9th
Information about Psychologist
- Study how people act, feel and think
- They try to understand, explain, and sometimes change people's behavior
- Help people to overcome relationship problems, eating disorders, learning problems, substance abuse, parenting issues, or to manage the effects of a chronic illness.
- Psychology became an official field of study around 1907, so it is a newer career choice
- Don't typically use medicine to treat patients. Cognitive behavioral therapy, family therapy, group therapy, and hypnotherapy are typical treatments
- Clinical or counseling psychologists need to complete a doctorate degree, internship, and one to two years of professional experience in order to become licensed
- Speaking with and interviewing the patient and possibly their loved ones
- The most common way for a psychologist to gather information about a patient is by observing him and his actions
- Recommending a specific course of treatment is another important responsibility of a clinical psychologist
- A psychologist may be able to treat the patients himself
"I speak to everyone in the same way, weather he is the garbage man or the president of the university." -Albert Einstein
Pros and Cons
Pros; You'll gain a deep knowledge of human nature, attractive salary, work with new people every day.
Training and Education Requirements
Most have a master's degree (several have a Ph.D.) Almost always need a license.
University of Wisconsin Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Dr, Green Bay, WI 54311
They offer phycology programs that focus on the scientific study and the behavior of individuals it is optional but you can get a bachelors degree and you can also get an associates degree by taking two year classes
Pro; They offer on campus living
Con; If you don't get on school living you would have to drive to the school every time you had classes
University of Michigan
Social work programs prepare people to counsel disadvantaged individuals/students learn counseling methods.
Social work programs are also called a "helping profession"
Mental/social health services council families and individuals to help prevent substance abuse
Pro; This school offers a lot of options and other class choices
Con; Visiting family from Wisconsin could be harder because of the distance
University of Wisconsin, Fond Du Lac
400 University Dr, Fond du Lac, WI 54935
Communication program's and speech studies. You learn how people talk listen and pursued you would study the history of argument you also write and deliver speeches . This class is very helpful for a clinical psychologist because you need to understand how your patiences communicate
Pro; They offer associates degrees
Con; Not as many classes or things to study to get your degree as the other schools
"Becoming a Psychologist: Pros and Cons." Becoming a Psychologist: Pros and Cons. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016.
"Advantages and Disadvantages of Being a Psychologist." Advantages and Disadvantages of Being a Psychologist. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016.