Welcome to the Gene Pike Library
News and Information for the 2013-2014 School Year
This year is going to be an exciting year in the Pike library. There will be so many fun opportunities in store for everyone during this school year with many of the events already being planned.
- The library program will include promoting the high interest fiction and nonfiction reading materials.
- I will be doing my very best to get (or keep) every student “hooked on reading” by recommending specific reading materials through book talks, book trailers, book promotions, and a variety of programming ideas.
- The latest and most exciting new titles for our readers, including quality non-fiction to help meet Common Core requirements, will be added to the collection.
- Students will learn research skills, database use, how to evaluate a website, and basic research citation.
- I will be working with classroom teachers to help infuse technology and research skills into all areas of the curriculum.
- The library will stress good Digital Citizenship, helping your child make safe and ethical decisions when using the Internet.
- There are over 500 eBooks and 50 digital audio books that may be checked out 24/7.
- I am planning many special events including author Twitter chats, a book fair, Teen Read Week celebrations, and more.
- I will be hosting student book clubs where students may sign-up for them on the library website.
- Our staff will be encouraging all students to participate in the 25 Book Challenge Reading incentive.
- Students will be participating in the Principal's Book of the Month program through their core classes.
- Students will be writing and blogging about books they have read.
- The library has a new look so please stop by and say hello.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter (#pikelib), and Pike Panthers Pinterest account.
- Students will be using Twitter for educational use while in the library.
- If you would like to volunteer to help in the library, please let me know. I would love to have you!
I am extremely excited about the coming school year and I am committed to making the library your child’s favorite place at Pikel!
Johnson, Doug. "Your library's back-to-school letter." The Blue Skunk Blog. August 3, 2013. Web. August 6, 2013
Battle of the Math Classes
Students used technology to teach a lesson. The event was hosted in the library.
25 Book Challenge Celebration
Students who read 25 or more books attended a Frisco RoughRider baseball game.
Student Book Clubs
Students may join the book club online. See the link on the library website.