Why Kids Need Recess
The Importance of Recess in Schools
Supporting Question 1
Supporting Question 2
What I learned
- KIDS NEED RECESS- students need around 15 minutes of recess every hour (Dr. Rhea)
- Students need recess because it meets their social and emotional needs, promotes brain development, and increases physical activity (Major Education Issues: Do kids really need recess?)
- The benefits to recess are, students are more focused, reduces stress,develops social skills, healthy lifestyles outside of the classroom (Why Kids Need Recess)
- 40% of U.S schools so not provide children with recess (Major Education Issues: Do Kids Really Need Recess?)
- GoNoodle for breaks in between content areas. If you don't have the ability to go outside in-between content areas its important to still get them active and moving for a little bit and GoNoodle gives you that opportunity.
- Talk to administration about staying outside an extra 5 minutes. If you get the administrations approval they are more apt to require it and suggest it to other teachers.
- Have the gym or an Indoor area available. Even if the weather is bad that doesn't mean recess is forgotten. You can have extra plans for your students to still be active even if its raining outside.
- If students are misbehaving have the students do a thinking lap. Some teachers punish students by taking recess away, but in order to end punishing students like that a simple thinking lap still lets them be active and outside and also lets them think about what they did so they won't do the same thing again.
- As parents you can join together and network. Parents can go to the PTA and explain the importance of recess to get more recess for their children throughout the day.
Interview with Dr. Rhea
Major Education Issues: Do Kids Really Need Recess? - EduGuide. (n.d.). Retrieved April 24, 2016, from http://www.eduguide.org/article/major-education-issues-do-kids-really-need-recess
Why Kids Need Recess. (n.d.). Retrieved April 24, 2016, from http://icpa4kids.org/Wellness-Articles/why-kids-need-recess.html