Crosby Senior Newsletter
CLASS OF 2016 - APRIL
Things to Consider When Choosing a College
- Net Cost: how much you’ll actually be paying annually
- Intellectual Development: will I be challenged academically and pushed to excel?
- Graduation Rate: % of undergraduate students who complete program
- Leadership Opportunities: how can I develop my ability to lead and inspire others?
- Students Paying Down their Debt: if students are able to repay loans
- Volunteering/Outreach: in what ways do students connect with the larger community around campus?
- Post-College Earnings: if students were able to find good paying jobs
- Health/well-being: does this school promote health in all dimensions?
(Visit collegescorecard.ed.gov to compare schools side by side.)
Last Dollar Grant application opens April 15
Three supporting documents must be uploaded to the senior portal under My Documents to complete the application:
- A copy of the scholar’s letter of admission from the institution he/she will attend
- A copy of the financial aid award letter from the institution he/she will attend
- A copy of pages 1 & 2 of the FAFSA SAR (Student Aid Report)
Eligibility: Scholars who complete the program Senior year with a cumulative GPA of 2.0+ are eligible to apply for a LDG for up to 4 years. The deadline to submit the online application in the portal is May 15. All supporting documents must be uploaded by June 15.
May 1: Let's Celebrate!
On Sunday, May 1st at 4pm, we invite all senior Crosby Scholars (with up to 2 guests) to join us for a special Senior Gala, held at West End Plaza (formerly known as the Salisbury Mall JCPenney) for a dessert reception to celebrate the accomplishments and college commitments of our seniors. In addition to hearing from special guest speakers, we will recognize Crosby graduates by calling each, by name, to the stage to be honored and presented with a Crosby Scholars honor cord to be worn at high school graduation. Additionally, several scholarships will be awarded and students with outstanding academic achievements will be noted.
An invitation will be mailed to each senior at the beginning of April. Please RSVP in the Crosby portal by April 25th. Each senior is allowed to bring 2 guests to the Gala. Dress code is nice casual (please no jeans, t-shirts, or hats). Seniors, please check-in between 3:40pm-3:55pm. We hope you will join us!
May 1: College Decision Day!
When you have confirmed your enrollment plans, notify the other colleges from which you have received an offer of admission that you will not attend. Those college may then offer admission to students who have been placed on a waiting list.
Then let us know your plans by adding your college’s name to the profile page of your Crosby portal. If you college name does not appear in the drop down list, be please email email@example.com and we will add your school name. (And also add your new college email address and college ID number.)
Don’t get senioritis — offers of admission are conditional upon review of your final transcript. Keep performing at the same competitive level throughout this semester so your grades do not drop. Your college will review your final transcript and may revoke your acceptance if you have performed below the college’s acceptable standards.
College Redirection Program
If you choose to participate in the College Redirection module, your name will be submitted to a "pool" from which North Carolina colleges and universities with open admissions space.
This service is provided during the later months of the application season to connect denied applicants with NC colleges and universities which still have open admission slots. The "pool" is open from April 1 through August 31, so why not jump in now?
Participation is voluntary and is advantageous for both denied applicants and schools. For more information on the College Redirection module, visit www.cfnc.org/redirection.
Crosby Scholars Rowan
*Only students who complete the Senior program are eligible to apply for Last Dollar Grants and Crosby scholarships.