Westside Middle School
April 28, 2023
2022-23 WMS Administration:
Kim Eymann - Principal email@example.com
Jordan Rhodes - Assistant Principal (Dean 7C, 8A). firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenni Allen - Assistant Principal and Special Services Department Chair. email@example.com
Dan Carlson - Dean and Athletic Director (Dean 7A, 7B, 8C). firstname.lastname@example.org
Kellon Johnson - Dean (7D, 8B, 8D). email@example.com
8th Grade Career Day
When: Friday morning, May 12, 2023, 8:00-11:02 a.m.
Who: 8th Grade Students (Bus transportation provided - No late buses!)
Where: Westside Middle School
Why: Increase awareness about career interests!
Important Info.! Over 40 professionals will share firsthand information about their careers. Students will also become familiar with the Westside High School service learning requirement.
Resource: Nebraska CTE Career Fields and Career Clusters
Note: Sixth grade students will begin arriving at WMS, before noon, to attend Warrior Walk-About orientation in the afternoon.
Westside Unified Information
Important Information from the WHS School Nurse
Future Westside High School Parents,
Greetings from the WHS nurse’s office! As we are preparing for your student(s) to enter high school, we want to make sure we are well prepared and send a few helpful hints out in order to keep your children safe, healthy and off to a great start at Westside High.
1. If your child has any of the following conditions, an action plan is needed:
- Asthma or Allergy, requiring an inhaler/rescue medication (epinephrine) to be kept in health office and/or carried by student
- Diabetes, Seizures or other Chronic illness
Please take time to explore the health information for WHS parents and students, at
https://westside66.org/health-information/. This website contains the medical forms, action plans for the above-mentioned conditions and helpful health links for all students. Providing the most current, correct documentation to the health office ensures if a medical situation arises, emergency response personnel in the school are aware of your student's medical status and can provide individualized care. All medical action plans are only kept on file for one calendar school year and are required to be updated and resubmitted yearly.
2. All medication (prescription and non-prescription (“as needed” medications) must be unexpired, provided to the school by the parents/guardian, in the pharmacy bottle or manufacturer container, and with a prescription from a medical provider. Non-prescription medications will be accepted for a maximum, two week period, with a signed medical authorization from a parent. Non-prescription medications accompanied with a prescription for a specific ailment will be kept in the health office and administered for the entire school year or designated period of time.
3. Students leaving school early due to illness should go through the health office to be excused. These students will be required to get permission from a parent/guardian to leave, will be excused by the nurse to leave school, and transported in a manner that reflects the guardians’ wishes.
4. Medical excuses and/or medical needs that require accommodations should be brought to the health office or have the physician fax this paperwork to the WHS health office at 402-343-2608.
Please reach out to the WHS Health Office with any questions, concerns or comments regarding your child’s medical needs. We look forward to meeting your student(s) and helping them with their medical needs.
Niki Olson, RN BSN CPN
Westside High School
Either scan the QR code or click on the links below to purchase new gear!
Main Store - https://soldiersports.us/collections/westside-middle-school
Elite Store - https://soldiersports.us/collections/westside-elite-team-store
News from our Social Worker
Phase II Bond Issue
Our school district is pursuing "Phase II" of our bond issue program that was first established in 2013. Below you will find information about this bond issue. This will be decided by our voters on May 9th through a MAIL-IN election.
Annual AHERA Notice
The Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of 1986 (AHERA) requires each public school district to annually notify parents, staff, and employee groups of its asbestos management plans. A management plan is in place for Westside Middle School and is available for review either at the school building or at the Westside Service Center, 9437 J St. Omaha, NE.
This school building was originally inspected in the1980’s and re-inspected by a certified inspector every three years thereafter. The three-year re-inspection and a ceiling tile inspection was conducted in 2019, and periodic surveillance will be conducted as required. No abatement activities are currently in progress or scheduled for the 2022-2023 school year at this building.
The Designated Person responsible for managing the District’s AHERA compliance and the contact person for questions or to review a management plan is the Director of Facilities, Russ Olsen (402) 390-8331.
Student School Calendar
W-CLUB: JOIN TODAY
Make a gift that is meaningful to you to show you are proud to be part of Westside Community Schools. Funds raised through the W-CLUB get redistributed back into all Westside Community Schools. Every teacher has the opportunity to apply for W-Club grants annually. Westside Middle School has received funding for robots, traveling exhibit for German Class, and cameras for our journalism club in the past.
Donating to Westside Middle School
To make a tax-deductible donation please donate through the Westside Foundation. You can specifically note that funds should be designated to Westside Middle School community club, fun run, etc. Your gift is not tax deductible if it comes directly to our school. If you have questions, please contact Westside Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org.