Putting the Mathematical Practices into Action
the 8 standards for mathematical practices
overarching habits of mind: 1 & 6
Reasoning and explaining: 2 & 3
#2 reason abstractly and quatitatively
math talks vs. number talks
How to Manage Number Talks
1. Keep it short (5-15 min)
2. Do it every day
3. Give students lots of practice with the same kinds of problems
4. Teach with intention. Start with your current topic and/or build toward your next.
5. Chart student thinking without judgement. Accept all answers without praise or criticism.
6. Encourage students to listen and ask questions of each other
7. Encourage students to self correct